+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suitable for a scrubber build?

Banned

Suitable for a scrubber build?

I'm thinking of using this as a container for my proposed ATS.

It measures (l) 440mm x (w) 300mm x (h) 300mm (17 x 12 x 12 inches) and has a nicely fitting lid.

I thought I could incorporate it into my proposed reef system using a method that would allow me to remove the whole box for ease of cleaning.

I thought I might use a two screen system, one on each side, with a bank of lights in the centre, similar to this one http://bit.ly/cCMbLQ

At the moment what I have is this,

I thought that I might rig the system something like this like this, perhaps plumbing it so that some of the flow could be made to by-pass the scrubber and flow directly into the sump, with a couple of ball valves to facilitate the control of that (not shown on illustration)

Thoughts?

Potential problems?

Thanks in advance.

Banned

Re: Suitable for a scrubber build?

Also, while I think of it. I note that most people use roughed up plastic canvas for their screens.

Is there any reason why more rigid solid (unperforated) plastic sheeting (suitably roughed up) might not be as good?

Or even a natural material like slate or a piece of unpolished limestone tile?

Banned

Some more thoughts, the above box, I reckon would be able to house two 14 x 7 inch screens comfortably (allowing for a bit of space above each for spray bars and 3 or so inches of pooled water below) which would give 196 square inches of effective scrubbing area. That would make it around 3 squ' inches per gallon of water, which would seem to be plenty (from SMs recommendations)

I guess I would need a bank of perhaps three or four 20w compact fluorescent bulbs shielded by a glass or acylic screen to protect them from splashes and condensation. Would that be a little too much? 80 watts for 66 (US) gallons)?

Does the above seem about right?

hi R P its a bit similar to my build ive just increased the lighting to 4 25w cfl in each chamber giving me 100 w times 3 chambers so that's now 300w
    here's a pic
    WITH OUT LIGHTS

Banned

That's an interesting version O/R

Got me thinking that has

That pump in the pictures looks a bit small.
    Similar to a problem I had.
    Maybe you were planning on upgrading already?

According to SM recommendations: 35 GPH/inch.
    So with 2 x 14" wide screens, that is 35 * 14 * 2 = 980 GPH.
    With a normal (not high-pressure) pump, and what looks to be 3 feet of head, you are probably into the 1200 GPH base spec to get that rate.
    Depends on detailed pump spec.

Banned

My pump is an Eheim Compact Plus 5000

http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index ... 28394_ehen

I actually thought it might be a bit too powerful

I think it's currently moving about 3500 litres per hour (around 925 US gallons/hr) from the sump to the tank. So it's not far off the 980 gals you quote.

I suppose I could always add another pump to run alongside it if necessary. My overflow could handle a lot more I think.

Administrator

The design in the pic is going to have the issue of a hard time removing the box for cleaning. The pipe at the bottom that connects to the sump is the problem.

Is there any reason why more rigid solid (unperforated) plastic sheeting (suitably roughed up) might not be as good?
    Algae won't stick, and rock/slate is too heavy. Sheet be covered with some plastic canvas. Why not... it's only one dollar.

two 14 x 7 inch screens comfortably (allowing for a bit of space above each for spray bars and 3 or so inches of pooled water below) which would give 196 square inches of effective scrubbing area.
    It's only half that. The one square inch for one gal rule is when the square inch has light on both sides.

80 watts for 66 (US) gallons)?
    Is a good strong amount. Will need good flow to keep the algae from turning yellow, and a rough screen to keep the rapid growth from letting go.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    The design in the pic is going to have the issue of a hard time removing the box for cleaning. The pipe at the bottom that connects to the sump is the problem.
    Yes that had occurred to me. I thought I might use a short piece of flexible hose to join them with two tank connectors, with the hose making a semicircle shape, running around the wooden divider in the cabinet, rather than through it. That way I'd just have to switch the pump off, loosen a jubilee clip and remove the whole box in one go.

I suppose I could always have the scrubber completely separate from the sump, with a dedicated pump and another overflow feeding it. Would there be any advantage in that?

It's only half that. The one square inch for one gal rule is when the square inch has light on both sides.

Ah.... right! It would still give me 1.5 squ' inches per gallon though wouldn't it? Wouldn't that be enough?

Administrator

Yes, for an average setup.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information