+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idea for a screen

Banned

Idea for a screen

Reading the link from another thread about the 40 year old reef, which now incorporates an "algae trough", I noted Baldassano’s comment

" I also installed a cement-encrusted plastic window screen (algae loves to attach to cement) in the trough which can be rolled up, removed and cleaned. "

I assume that the reason that cement works is that it's rough, or is there some other reason?

Has anyone tried that on their screens?

It did occur to me that instead of using cement (which I guess would be brittle and liable to flake off), you could use some plastic canvas and encrust it in grit or sand, either by sticking it on with reef safe silicon mastic or by covering it with course sand/grit and heating it by some method (blow lamp?), melting the top layer of plastic and thus sticking grains of grit onto the surface.

I know the "cactus rough" method has worked well but might this work better?

Thoughts?

Administrator

Re: Idea for a screen

Cement is just another rough surface. Any rough surface works. But canvas is cheap, lightweight, easy to remove (a must), and light can go through it to the other side.

i agree with SM although there are other materials to try you can't bet plastic sheet , roughed up it works very well indeed .

Banned

I might run a little experiment in the garden, set up a trough with water running over a variety of materials to see what works best under sunlight.

Might be an interesting exercise.

I have been using 2 cement plates, 8x8", made of normal Portland cement, for many months and it works absolutely great! They are easy to handle, easy to clean, and always leave some algae behind for fast re-growth.

Rainer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainerfeyer
    I have been using 2 cement plates, 8x8", made of normal Portland cement, for many months and it works absolutely great! They are easy to handle, easy to clean, and always leave some algae behind for fast re-growth.

Rainer

Did you have to do anything to make it reef safe?

I truly apologize for the late reply - do not get much o-line time

The only thing I did with the plates is leave them in my Salt Water storage tankk for 3 weeks, that was it. I know that time is usually of essence, but I made the plates while I was experimenting with design to cut back on the disappointment of having to wait.

I can not be happier with them, though. Have used screen in multiple ways which did not compare.

I am planning on making a new set of plates. When still soft, I am planning on using a Table coaster (the ones used with carpets having little teeth on the bottom) to indent the cement with hundreds of shallow holes - this will allow the algae to attach even better.

Rainer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information