+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use LED's for Lighting a Scrubber?

Re: Anyone use LED's for Lighting a Scrubber?

great thanks for that, maybe putting them further out? Id be interested to see how far they could be set back. maybe having lower wattage at the distance you have might be ok too?

any one with an idea on color range??

Thanks rygh, I hadn't considered bulb refreshing in the equation, good to know.

whites, I've wondered the same thing myself about how far away they'd be effective, or if I could have used lower power lights.

I think the general consensus on best algae color = blue + deep red.
    Distance = as close as possible, as long as light distribution is good.
    For me, about 5 inches.

Have to plug the long led thread : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=435

I guess if mine are 45w then we will find out.

Could you post what dimensions your box is expecially how wide, really want to know the distance of one side of the canvas to the inside of the cantainers side. I think your design would suit my set up, Id paint the ends in white to reflect some more light on the ends and also wouldnt need the leg/stand you have to fit it under the tank. Anything else you would tweak?

By looking at the growth looks like the light could go back at least an inch or even two I dont think there would be much light drop off at that distance.

Maybe a bigger gague pipe with a section cut out so it could slip over the pipe with slots to help stop light getting to it and stop algea blocking.

Dimensions:

The inside of the box is 4-1/2"d X 17"w X 19-1/2"h. The top, sides, and bottom are 1/4" Lexan. The front and back faces are whatever Home Depot sells that's close to 1/4", something like .23" or .22". The lights are mounted to 1/2" blocks (2-1/4" pieces laminated together) that are drilled, tapped, and glued to the front and rear panels. Since the lights protrude from the front rim of the fixture they are only about 1/8" away from the Lexan. So, the lights are approximately 2-1/2" from the plastic canvas. They are so intense that I think they could be moved farther from the screen, however at some point I'm sure that the illuminated area gained by increasing the distance to the screen becomes a trade off for slower algae growth.

its a nice build . the light might even get you in the mood for love with a bit of Barry white on in the back ground , :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by waucedah_joe
    "You recommended led? Wow
    Only experimentally I hope. "

What am I missing here?

These are the lights I used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-WATTS-LED-GROW-L ... 35a75a68df

Sarcasm.

I never knew SM to talk up LED too much. No offense SM.

Its encouraging to see people having success with LED.

I will be curious to see how well those panels age.

The "teardrop" LED have a great deal of epoxy (lens material) which tends to darken i.e. they dim.

Although the better LED (cree for ex.) have additives in the epoxy to help counteract this.

Best of luck.

The newer teardrop LEDs have a very long advertised lifetime. Like 100,000 hours on some.
    My guess : They have fixed any lens issues, and since they are lower power, the lower temperature
    allows for longer life.

BTW: My LED DIY box:
    Simply made of wood, painted white inside. 30" x 6.6", and about 6" from the screen.
    There is a 1/16" layer of diamond diffusion grating on the ATS itself. (For new one, going to simple clear 1/16" acrylic)

Quote Originally Posted by rygh
    The newer teardrop LEDs have a very long advertised lifetime. Like 100,000 hours on some.
    My guess : They have fixed any lens issues, and since they are lower power, the lower temperature
    allows for longer life
    How long a led lasts and how bright they are after some use are two different things.

I am only mentioning this because I have read what other people have posted about how these type of lights dim.

People at least as far as I can tell have the equipment to test these things.

Personally I have no first hand experience with them ("teardrop LED") and don't get me wrong I hope they last a long time.

I think that the main benefit from LED (considering there expense) use is that they last so long.

Hope this helps.

hey there any updates? how is the design going? any new pics of growth you can post?

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information