+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Going Green

Administrator

Re: Water Going Green

Doesn't matter, as far as filtering goes.

Right lets start from scrach
    my tank is 216 gallons
    sump 40 gallons
    i have 2 Vortec 40
    1800 gallon pump in the shed about 10ft away from my living room
    2 14k 250watt Halide lamps
    running 2 11x10 screens
    can so mone give me some input plz

1) i dont have enough flow in the tank ?
    2) the pump is to far from the tank ?
    3) the scubber is to small for tank ?
    4) i need to do a water change ?

My two cents

If you know how to do a water change, which I almost sure you do, than it can never hurt.

Think back what if anything have you changed???? If I remember right this is an established tank.

I also might keep my mind open to some freak thing. Ex. Not that this applies at all to you but it might give you an idea. (look for the unusual)

Did a little kid throw a coin into the tank?

Hope this helps.

Administrator

Need some updated pics on your scrubber. Did not know you changes to halides.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Need some updated pics on your scrubber. Did not know you changes to halides.
    will get a picture as soon as i am going to clean as i done one today

If your problem doesn't go away i'd drop down to single layer screen and clean it every 3 days and make sure you shut the entire system down when you remove the screen.

I'm thinking either the algae is growing too fast/too thick and dying off because of lack or light/water flow. or its just letting go because it is has gotten to a thickness where it can no longer hold on to the screen you have. in which case the screen could be more rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah
    Does the cover on your lights have salt creep on it? I had the same problem. I cleaned off the creep everything was blue again. However for a month I swore to GOD it was the water. looked...a little green from the front..the side(long ways) OMG it looked so green it was sick.
    thanks to Gigaah it was the glass on the lights now its clear i could not think that would cause it nice one just a hint of geen now but i think thats the water will do a water change as i should of before i start useing the scrubber but all seem to be ok now will post a picture of my screens as soon as i do a clean

Glad I could help!! I got the idea from a scrubber I was building. I had a CFL light that had salt crust on it..it glowed green a second or two after I unplugged it.dunno if that particular light just glows green after you unplug it or not..but it gave me the idea to scrape my glass under one of my lights i've been neglecting.

If you clean your screen more frequently the rest of the green will fade. I know this first hand. I was doing some experiments and made a bet with my friends that I could feed my 55g tank 4-5 cubes every day for 2 months and the tank wouldn't skip a beat. I won the bet. but my water went a little dingy green durring the process and cleaning the screen more frequently solved the problem of the algae growing so thick so fast. Maybe an even rougher screen would have helped I don't know I feel I did a decent job on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah
    Glad I could help!! I got the idea from a scrubber I was building. I had a CFL light that had salt crust on it..it glowed green a second or two after I unplugged it.dunno if that particular light just glows green after you unplug it or not..but it gave me the idea to scrape my glass under one of my lights i've been neglecting.

If you clean your screen more frequently the rest of the green will fade. I know this first hand. I was doing some experiments and made a bet with my friends that I could feed my 55g tank 4-5 cubes every day for 2 months and the tank wouldn't skip a beat. I won the bet. but my water went a little dingy green durring the process and cleaning the screen more frequently solved the problem of the algae growing so thick so fast. Maybe an even rougher screen would have helped I don't know I feel I did a decent job on the screen.
    thanks m8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information