+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Going Green

Re: Water Going Green

Do you feed alot of omnivorous flakes/pellets? they usually leach their green color into the water, just a guess if so because I did for awhile and it made my water greenish too

Quote Originally Posted by rahjelli
    Do you feed alot of omnivorous flakes/pellets? they usually leach their green color into the water, just a guess if so because I did for awhile and it made my water greenish too
    No i dont m8 thanks

Does the cover on your lights have salt creep on it? I had the same problem. I cleaned off the creep everything was blue again. However for a month I swore to GOD it was the water. looked...a little green from the front..the side(long ways) OMG it looked so green it was sick.

Just a thought...

Have you dropped your water change frequency or carbon use due to the scrubber being deployed? Apparently a build up in allelopathic compounds can yellow the water. Solution is to run some good quality carbon for 12 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah
    Does the cover on your lights have salt creep on it? I had the same problem. I cleaned off the creep everything was blue again. However for a month I swore to GOD it was the water. looked...a little green from the front..the side(long ways) OMG it looked so green it was sick.
    i will try that thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    Just a thought...

Have you dropped your water change frequency or carbon use due to the scrubber being deployed? Apparently a build up in allelopathic compounds can yellow the water. Solution is to run some good quality carbon for 12 hrs.
    i will try what sam says the clean my glass on lights then if that dont work will try what you say

Administrator

If scrubbers are run properly, there is no yellowing of the water at all, and no carbon are waterchanges are needed at all. Aside from that, it's not the allelopathic compounds, but the chlorophyll from broken algae, that yellows water in non-properly setup scrubbers. And no matter what the compounds (allelopathic, chlorophyll, food, etc), they all go away over time because they are eaten by bacteria. So, in a properly-running scrubber tank, the bacteria eat the little bit of chlorophyll in the water faster than it build up.

Now, if something is not setup right, the chlorophyll can build up faster that the bacteria eat it. In this case you get yellowing. Interestingly, yellow or green-water tanks are actually healthier than clear water tanks, because the coloring feeds more copepods, which feeds the corals more. Plus, the green itself feeds many corals. This is why the ocean is blue-green (phytoplankton). Matter of fact if you wanted an extremely large amount of food in your water to make corals grow as fast as they do in the ocean, you would want green water.

Nevertheless, most people want clear water. So in the very cases it happens (like this one), it's just a matter of figuring out what's causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    If scrubbers are run properly, there is no yellowing of the water at all, and no carbon are waterchanges are needed at all. Aside from that, it's not the allelopathic compounds, but the chlorophyll from broken algae, that yellows water in non-properly setup scrubbers. And no matter what the compounds (allelopathic, chlorophyll, food, etc), they all go away over time because they are eaten by bacteria. So, in a properly-running scrubber tank, the bacteria eat the little bit of chlorophyll in the water faster than it build up.

Now, if something is not setup right, the chlorophyll can build up faster that the bacteria eat it. In this case you get yellowing. Interestingly, yellow or green-water tanks are actually healthier than clear water tanks, because the coloring feeds more copepods, which feeds the corals more. Plus, the green itself feeds many corals. This is why the ocean is blue-green (phytoplankton). Matter of fact if you wanted an extremely large amount of food in your water to make corals grow as fast as they do in the ocean, you would want green water.

Nevertheless, most people want clear water. So in the very cases it happens (like this one), it's just a matter of figuring out what's causing it.
    Yes i agree with you Santa i just wont to see whats doing it

What time is the best time for the scurbber lights to be on dueing the day are at night
    i have it on dueing the night

I have mine on from 7am-1am

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information