+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help/Advice For Scrubber in a Red Sea Max 130D

Need Help/Advice For Scrubber in a Red Sea Max 130D

Hi all,
    Well to start out, this whole adventure started trying to find a good way to replenish pods for my mandarine,
    1 google search & a few clicks on a few links, I was steared to the Marinedepot forum & Read the loooonnngggg post started by Santamonica & I'm ready to take everything out of my lower Redsea max cabinet & put a algae scrubber in there

Ok so here is what i need help with.
    I've got enough room in my cabinet for a 10 gal tank to use as a sump. I'm going to make my screen above the sump with 1 23W cfl "Curly style" light on each side of it, should have just enough room in the cabinet for this. I've got enough room in the width of the sump for a 7" wide screen, I could go fairly tall with the screen up to 10 " wich should be more then enough for a 35 gal tank.
    My first problem is when I ran a test run using std 3/4" white pvc pipe with 1/8"wide x 7"long slot, with single sheet plastic canvas 7" wide x 10 " long using a Maxi-Jet power head MP1200 295gph pumping into pipe about 12" above water line . 7*35=245 should be enough flow & it seems to be, but what seems to happen is when pump is running & watterr is forced out of slot the watter arcs away from the beginning of the slot & leaves a little bit of the start of the screen dry/free from watter???? Any ideas on what i can do to get a more perfect watterfall / compleat watter coverage coming of the bottom of screen?
    Another question i had was when i put the plastic canvas into the 1/8" slot & zip tie it in place the canvas may rest on one side of the slot rather then staying dead center & causing watter to flow more on one side of the screen then the other. should I be concerned about this or is there a trick that may help me keep watter more evenly on both sides?

Realy looking forward to getting a scrubber going & having an awsome display like some posted on this site

Administrator

Re: Need Help/Advice For Scrubber in a Red Sea Max 130D

The flow will even-out as growth occurs. The growth will fill-in the high-flow areas first. I would not worry about the side-to-side positioning of the screen; it also gets pushed around as growth goes into the slot.

Yours will be a very strong scrubber for your tank size; you should never have any nuisance algae problems.

Thanks for the help SantaMonica
    Do you think this size scrubber will give me alot of pods
    for my mandarin?

Administrator

Enough pods for many mandarins. As long as you don't have a skimmer or other mechanical filter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information