+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: My setup.

Re: My setup.

I can probably do a bit more flow, but as it looks in real life, it's alot greener than on this picture. It's light green and dark green outside the lights. It's not a hard bioload on the filter yet, 10 small fishes and I got 110 kg rock.

I'm experiencing massive amounts of live particles in my water. When the lights go out, and I turn on a flashlight, I can see with my bare eyes 1-3mm long shrimplike creatures swimming in the water, jumping on the stones. It's amazing, while the water is so clear, there are still so much life. I'm experiencing massive chritical comments from the local forums claiming I'm destined to fail etc.

I still have no values measurable of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate nor phosphate. The pH is fine aswell as the salinity. The algae growth that came initially is slower, and I added 2 lawnmovers to take care of the rest. Coraline is spreading on the live rocks, I added a Sun Coral who seems to be happy, aswell as some Zoa.

Administrator

Good to hear. It's clear that the local forum folks don't understand how the ocean operates. They probably still think that the sandy shores are what "skim'" the ocean, when in fact anybody who has studied oceanography or marine biology at all knows that it's the algae which does ALL the filtering, and feeding, in the oceans.

I'm currently discussing with a "Molecular biologist". He claims so many strange things, I'm starting to belive he is promoting scrubbers for a commercial reason. The thread is a massive success tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vannpytt
    I'm currently discussing with a "Molecular biologist". He claims so many strange things, I'm starting to belive he is promoting scrubbers for a commercial reason. The thread is a massive success tho.
    Have you got the link

It's in Norwegian, not any help to you people, so I'm on my own. I didn't even take biology at highschool, but so far, 23 pages, ca 230 posts in, there are still noone making valid points against me and the debate is turning into a war on me.

Administrator

It's the sellers of equiment... they use other usernames to pretend they are just "hobbiests". Tell them to go to Reefbase.org

Well, at the moment we are discussing the limiting factors of trace elements in the water. We are down to stupid things like copper beeing the limiting factor as there is 1 one copper atom that is in the membrane surounding the cellulose and transfers energy from light during the fotosynthesis. Granted the debatant only said copper, while I had to figure out this myself, that there is indeed 1 copper atom for each membrane, containing roughly 100 cellulose cells as far as I could understand.

All this due to me not changing out water, just refilling with RO/DI and still not having problems with my water. As they didn't manage to establish that it was needed for exporting anything (or thinning out in decent quantities) they are trying to make it seem like the fish are swimming in fishpoop and fishpee as if fishes was hygenical. These creatures eat poop by mistake, and spit it out. They pee constantly. Aslong as the water is not toxic, they have no problems with it.

Any advice on import and unhealthy buildups due to dosing balling + and the ion ballance or why it is not needed and if not, what is the limiting factors and what timeframes are we speaking about?

Administrator

The food that you feed has lots of copper, and tons of iron. And the ocean and lakes have more DOC than anything else. They don't even understand biology 101 if they dont' know that algae does ALL the filtering and feeding for the entire ocean. That's why it's call the primary producer of the world. Just search for "dissolved organics" in reefbase.

Administrator

By the way, notice that they are not proving to you that there are NOT dissolved organics in the ocean. They just BELIEVE that is how it is. And this is the OPPOSITE of how it really is. So tell them that they have to link you to studies which PROVE that there are NO dissolved organics in the oceans or lakes. They will fail. Here is more:

2009 research on skimmer removal of dissolved organics:
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2

"The skimmer pulls out all of the TOC that it is going to remove by the 50-minute mark. Beyond that time point, nothing much is happening and the TOC level doesn't change much.

"Thus, all skimmers tested remove around 20 - 30% of the TOC in the aquarium water, and that's it; 70 - 80% of the measurable TOC is left behind unperturbed by the skimming process. It may be possible to develop a rationalization for this unexpected behavior by referring back to Fig. 1. Perhaps only 20 - 30% of the organic species in the aquarium water meet the hydrophobic requirements for bubble capture, whereas the remaining 70-80%, for whatever reason, don't."

Here are some interesting 2008 technical points taken out of recent issues of Advanced Aquarist:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature3
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/9/aafeature2

"Greater than 97% of the organic matter in the oceans is in the form of DOC"

"The majority of the DOC in the oceans is consumed over a time span on the order of hours-to-weeks."

"The generally accepted value of deep ocean TOC (DOC in this instance) ranges from 0.45 - 0.60 ppm, a number that appears to be insensitive to collection location. On reefs, however, the DOC (and TOC) value is considerably higher. Even with this point noted, the values of DOC on reefs from the South Pacific to Japan to the Caribbean to the Red Sea are remarkably consistent in their range: 0.7 - 1.6 ppm"

"Bacteria are a critical component in the food web of the reef, as they occupy the role of 'middle man' in the transfer of energy from the source (sunlight) to the consumers on the reef"

"sponges are some of the most prolific repositories of marine bacteria. In fact, some sponges have been studied as effective bioremediation agents in marine aquaculture as a consequence of their exceptional ability to absorb TOC"

"Where does the DOC go ... studies suggest that it is rapidly consumed by bacteria that live in and on the coral itself and not by bacteria present in the water column. Shutting down these endogenous bacteria by antibiotic treatment abolished DOC uptake."

"In total, these data unequivocally demonstrate that the [skimmer] is not required to deplete the aquarium water of TOC. Apparently, naturally biological processes are sufficient in and of themselves to return the post-feeding TOC levels to their pre-feeding values after about 4 hrs or so ... Clearly the skimmer is doing something, given the copious residue accumulated in the collection cup at the end of the week. Perhaps, however, the residue removed by the skimmer is only a rather small, even inconsequential, portion of the entire TOC load that develops in the aquarium water over the course of a week."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information