+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: My setup.

Re: My setup.

I'm experiencing less and less algae in the aquarium, added a few sps frags, but my millepora has withdrawn it's polyps. Any idea why? Nothing is measuring out bad, and it seems to be growing. Could it be a result from one of my angels?

Anyways, my sump where the wather comes from the scrubber is filled with foam ontop. (almost like skimming) meaning it's probably alot of protein in my water, and I got heavy growth on my glass all of a sudden. (Have to lcean once a day). I've also started to getting brown slime on sand and while thinner, brownish short hairs on the rock. (1-2cm at longest).

Master Algae, please explain? Scrubber is growing good, flow is good, so what is causing this?

Edit: This is 1 day after cleaning screen

Administrator

Will need before and after pics of screen, to be sure.

How much are you feeding?

Generally, sounds like you had a nutrient spike after cleaning the whole screen, so in your case it might be good to clean half at a time.

2-3 cubes selfmix of aremia, brine, pellets, 1-2 sheets of nori, some plankton food and spirulina (just a small flake)

I'm upgrading my pumpin a few days to a Tunze Master with 8500 lph, from my current Deltec 5300lph. Seems the Iron is not turning it green as I would like, and I suspect that the algae simply cant grow enought due to lack of iron/flow. Would that make sense?

Ohh, and it is kinda funny. I ran a skimmer for a week (2-3 weeks back) and the effect was astonishing. I lost 3 large filterfeeders (worms) and my tube anemone faded away almost, then I turned the skimmer off, and everything was in much much better shape.

Could there be too little corals in my system to use the nutrition considering I don't get green algae?

Administrator

Your screen should be able to handle 10 times that amount of food. Weren't you getting thick green before?

No, too thin yellow in my opinion. It was very yellow, then it was greenish yellow thin, now it's light green. Upgrading my pump will give me darker green I suspect. And yeah, I should be able to feed considerable amounts, but since it's not growing as I want it, and I don't want to clean the glass several times a day, I stick to this. Then again, it should only take a week to rectify the lack of flow when I get my new pump.

I suspect it won't only "double or triple" the export, but pretty much eat everything I can put in there. It will probably be excessive overkill. My system is almost designed to be 1,5 of the recomended size for high filtration standalone..

New pump online. First cleaning tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it is going to develop next cleaning with 1,5x more flow.

Split up the screen yesterday to have 2 halves to clean each 5 days. The new growth is green, though I only used the new pump for a few days prior to cleaning. Will clean other half on friday if there is some algae on the new screen by then.

I blew off LOTS of detrius and dead algae from the rocks. Added 3-4 more corals (10-15 more sps next week) and measured my Nitrates with Salifert. Even on the low scale I'm unable to tell if there is anything. (Tried 2 kits now, nothing on either). My phosphates are also unmeasurable by the Merck Kit wich is supposed to be decent. Guess I'll only have to wait for the rest to die off. Hope it won't take too long time.

Administrator

If you can blow it off the rocks, it dead.

Hi SM,

MY scrubber has now been running for some 3 months or so, growth hasn't been green untill now, but alot of yellow. My nitrates, phosphates and ammonium has always been undetectable. I'm using RO/DI water only, and don't feed that much. I get lots of detrius on/between rocks (Althought the flow should not be the issue) stuck in algae. They grow on my glass every day, or every other day, yet I still cannot measure anything in my water. It's also still slightly growing on rocks. It's dark brown, and green on my scrubber. All paramters are "perfect" so why do I still have algae in my tank? I don't have a thick layer of substrate, I don't have alot of load on my system.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix would be greatly appreciated. The good side is, I do have these water parameters, my fish are happy and very fat, my NPS seems to thrive, though some of my SPS retract their polyps. I had "low" alk for a while, but it's now around 11dKH.

I split my screen in half last clean, and thus only cleaned 1 side. The new side is already growing long green hairs. Cleaning again tomorrow, but I'm afraid of loosing all the filterpower.

Administrator

Is the top of your screen still like this:

I think it doing fine. Let's see some pics of the rocks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information