+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: My setup.

Re: My setup.

Cleaning today. The growth is thick green in some places, yet yellow from not cleaning it other places last time since i changed the pump. Hope the green will grow on the entire screen now. The flow is very much better.

No, it's not really like that. The screen is more coverd, and ALOT greener in some places, but yellow in other places. A sign that the flow is not even I guess.

This is the flow at the bottom of the screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVefsLOBBI4

Here is the aquarium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrk9Z8xwm6g

How do I fix this?

Administrator

Wow you have a lot of phosphate in the rocks. Just keep on growing and cleaning the screen... will take several months...

So basically, I should add a skimmer and GFO to cope with it even faster?

Administrator

If your scrubber is growing well, then neither one will help much. The gfo would slow the scrubber. And a skimmer would take out coral food.

If you want to "do something else to speed things up", then make a second temporary scrubber. I'd normally say use more light, but you can't add more bullbs on yours.

Mine took six months with one scrubber.

If anything, I need to add more water to mine.

Hence I was thinking this:

If the growth doesn't turn green enought this week I'm going to add a pump in the middle like this:

[code]->_________||__________<-
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/code]

And feed it from the top also, alternativly, put endcaps in the middle to increase flow and make 2 separate screens. A bit less area to grow on, but wastly increased flow. It's already a 8,3k lph rated return, so I don't see how I can increase this even more.

Do you think this is a viable path, or should I remove the middle of the 3 lights? In the middle, "nothing" grows. Too much light, while the flow should be quite sufficient and the screen, more than rought enought.

Administrator

No don't remove the middle bulb. Do the flow first. And try some iron, or just feed more.

I'll increase feeding even more. I got 12 pcs SPS in of various Acropora. I'll be posting pictures from when the lights are on. For now, I acclimated them during darkness and the polyps are out already. Hope my angelfish can stay away for a while. The Millepora types are awesome.

I'm quite sure I got dinoflaggelates, not brown algae. This is easily a logical explanation for a loss of snails, and the turn from green algae -> brown slime in the DT. Guess it's time to siphon out some crap and turn off my lights. The nutrients in my tank is already not measurable so I'll feed as normal and let my scrubber run. (this also explains why my fish and snails don't clean up the tank, and why it hasn't died under very low nutrient levels as it's getting it's nutrients from the dead diatoms etc from my algae bloom.) This might actually be a bad sideeffect of not letting the tank run its course the "normal" way. The scrubber simply strangled all my intank algae too fast for anything to clean it ut, and this is the result.

On a sidenote, Dino are also toxic for SPS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information