+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Create Surge for overflow sumps

Create Surge for overflow sumps

This is a relatively simple design. You put pump and reservoir inline on the overflow, but before the scrubber. The pump in the reservoir is on a timer so that continuos sump feed pump keeps running and the second pump on the timer just diverts the overflow feed to the scrubber to the outlet of the bucket. Any number of designs are possible, the use of ball valves etc all can be incorporated. This drawing is for the basic concept, any working models will all have to have the flows correctly metered using pump timing etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Create Surge for overflow sumps

OK, this is how it works, but using my sump and not a separate scrubber system. You should be able to see how the surge works, and better understand the design. Just get creative is all. Below is a link to a movie of it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-44XUi8gXg

The LED panel is off so I could get better visible light for the movie.

Administrator

Yep it works good!

Well, I have suspended the surge for now. Seems all my growth was getting washed off. Maybe after I get the turf established a little I will crank it up again.

Hmmm.. Doesn't sound right but thanks for the update.

Adding another pump is good idea, but instead of the pump in that bucket, try to make a reverse Carlson surge device. By using rcsd, you don't need a timer or another pump to mark up you electric bill. Just my 2 cents. No one is using the RCSD because it cause air bubbles in the display tank, but in our case, air bubbles wont matter. And it wont put any back pressure from your overflow. From your overflow into this bucket, then when bucket fills up, it will automatic dump all that water down the scrubber, when it empties it stops the flow and repeat every 30 seconds or so, all using kinetic energy. simple, cost efficient, and all parts can be gathered at Home depot or lowe's. Just make sure you RCSD pipes are bigger than you overflow pipes, cause you want to dump all that bucket of water in a hurry, meaning the output speed have to be faster than the input speed.
    Let me know what you guys think.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information