+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi guys!! new here and my scrubber

Re: Hi guys!! new here and my scrubber

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    First thing that is needed to be known: Do you...

Just want to build a "test" scrubber to see if it "grows" algae, but will not reduce nutrients or nuisance algae.

or

Just want to build a "test" scrubber to see if it nutrients and nuisance algae can be kept away. This will be a sloppy, noisy, bright, unreliable contraption (but cheap).

or

Just want to go ahead an build a solid scrubber that will, guaranteed, solve your (otherwise upcoming) nutrient and nuisance algae problems, and which will also be quiet, easy to clean, redundant, and with no light shining into your room. (expensive)

Lastly, do you want to (for sure) remove your skimmer and wet/dry.
    I am not sure about moving my wet/dry.

I just want to see some algae growth on my little crappy scrubber..... enough for me to believe that a scrubber can produce results on my tank

if you dont have the right ingredients you wont make the perfect cake .
    your screen is the wrong material
    your lighting is not strong enough
    and iam not sure if you have the right flow
    with out the first three things been right you will never get the green stuff to grow .

I have off and on been in the hobby for at least 15 years. I have had an algae scrubber for 98% of that time i.e. almost exclusively that is my only filtration method.

The word filtration does not do what an algae scrubber does justice. At least for me I want to replicate nature as much as possible. I haven't seen any overhang

filters or the like in the ocean have you?

As far as I am concerned there is no other way to keep fish.

You don't want to just grow algae.

You want to export algae/nutrients in mass.

Consider your bioload (fish waste, rotting food, etc...) then think that is what I want to remove.

By removing the algae.

I could put it another way. My FW discus keeping brothers keep discus by almost constantly changing the water i.e. removing there waste.

More work than I want to do but at least there fish are in "clean" water (clean meaning without things that are harmful)

More traditional ways only break down waste to something less harmful to the fish but don't remove the waste. Hence the need for water changes.

Would you want to live in cesspool?

Hope this helps.

Administrator

enough for me to believe that a scrubber can produce results on my tank
    Then that is the final answer. You want to see "results" on your 360, which means you want Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate reduced to "zero", and you want no nuisance algae in your display. This will not ever, ever, happen with the scrubber that you built. Which is why I said to remove it and put your skimmer back on until you build a scrubber which can indeed do what you want. As a matter of fact, if you try to run the one you built, you are going to cloud the water when the black algae starts sliding off of the screen.

Knowing that you want to keep your wet/dry, but eventually remove your skimmer, helps. You don't need to remove your skimmer, it will only benefit things from a nutrient point of view, but since you have decided we'll leave it at that.

TheCanuck,

It is obviously an expensive decision and completely your own. (Lights, diy time, etc...) I would like to make it easier if you are interested?

I would like to see more people that keep monster fish use an effective algae scrubber. Would like to do it eventually myself.

I am willing to do my small part. If you need a roughened screen(an important part) I can supply one essential free of all the labor involved with roughing.

Say $2 for the screen and $1 or $2 for shipping. I use an oscillating tool to roughen my screens. More or less takes me little time.

I can be time consuming if you don't have the tool.

Thank your eel. One day I hope to keep such a predator. My taste lion fish or cuttlefish.

If no its alright. Trying something new isn't always easy or cheap.

One other thing LET GO PENS

Quote Originally Posted by inkidu
    TheCanuck,

It is obviously an expensive decision and completely your own. (Lights, diy time, etc...) I would like to make it easier if you are interested?

I would like to see more people that keep monster fish use an effective algae scrubber. Would like to do it eventually myself.

I am willing to do my small part. If you need a roughened screen(an important part) I can supply one essential free of all the labor involved with roughing.

Say $2 for the screen and $1 or $2 for shipping. I use an oscillating tool to roughen my screens. More or less takes me little time.

I can be time consuming if you don't have the tool.

Thank your eel. One day I hope to keep such a predator. My taste lion fish or cuttlefish.

If no its alright. Trying something new isn't always easy or cheap.

One other thing LET GO PENS

Haha syd the kid is the shit.

I would love the screen. I pmed you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information