+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this?

Banned

Thoughts on this?

Here's my prototype in hood horizontal (sorry SM) trough style scrubber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrUNp_uYyY

It is 35 inches long and 5 and 3/4 inches wide (internal) making just over 200 sq inches of available screen area (for a 200 litre tank). The whole thing lifts out easily for cleaning.

As you can see the water comes in at one end straight from the sump return pump, trickles along the trough and discharges into the tank at the other end.

In the film I have the pump running at half capacity which is giving a flow of just over 260 (US) gallons per hour (45 gallons per hour per inch of screen width). This can be doubled if necessary (but would get a bit noisy)

I am going to use the reverse side of some floor tiles, cut to fit the trough, as a screen. They are nice and rough and have a rippled pattern on them. If necessary I will stick some roughed up plastic canvas on top of those too.

For lighting I'm proposing to use 2 x 38w 4 ft T8 florescent tubes which will sit on top of the trough, 2 or three inches above the screen with reflectors sitting on top. There will also be a 2 x 39w 3 ft T5 unit located under the hood to light the tank which may provide a little extra light to the scrubber.

I realise that this unit is not going to be as efficient as a vertical scrubber but it suits my tank/cabinet arrangement. I am also going to be using a good quantity of live rock, a small DSB in the sump, 2 or so inches of live sand in the tank, Seachem Denitrate and Seachem Purigen, so I'm not relying on the scrubber to do all the filtering.

Not going to use a skimmer, at least to begin with.

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Thoughts on this?

Thats a lot like what I am using effectively.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5536398.pdf

Kind of hard to see but there is a bump at the end which keeps a certain level of water at all times.

There is also a gate right before the "bump" which forces the water to go underneath it.

The creator also uses bumps along several places of the bottom length and those line up with where the baffles direct water onto them. (creates turbulence)

If you have the time the patten is actually an interesting read.

Hope this helps.

Banned

Thanks for that inkidu, I might add some sort of baffles to create a bit of turbulence.

So here is an enhancement thought:
    Lower it, such that the water level in the trough matches the tank water level.
    Use a propeller type powerhead angled slightly up, to push water directly from the tank into the trough.
    You could get 1000 GPH for very few watts, and it would be super quiet.
    The pump is much quieter, and there is no falling water on the return.
    It really simplifies the whole thing.
    With that much flow, should really eliminate turbulence concerns.
    And since it is horizontal, no real need to have it raised anyway.

Administrator

I think it will work, especially if you increase the flow like you said. The increase in flow will help the water jump over algae islands that form, and, the narrow sides will helps do the same (water can't go around the islands easily). The more you could angle it the better. You can attached a drain pipe that keeps the flow quiet.

For comparison: Your 50 gal tank would need 50 square inches of two-sided screen; you now have 100 square inches of two-sided screen, which is really 200 inches of one-sided screen. You have 38 X 2 = 76 watts of light for a 50 gal = 1.5 watts/gal. Very good.

The limiting factor in yours is flow, but since you have twice the area and three times the light needed for a 50gal, and since the trough is narrow, it should work good. And you always have the option of increasing flow for much more filtering:

Banned

Thanks for the input SM.

I'll update the forum with it's progress.

do yourself a favor and increase the angle as much as possible. I too have a horizontal. It worked ok, grew some algae, but then when I increased the angel, it really took off!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 180rftank
    do yourself a favor and increase the angle as much as possible. I too have a horizontal. It worked ok, grew some algae, but then when I increased the angel, it really took off!

Thanks for that, I will.

For now I've cut and fitted the tiles and upped the flow a little bit. It's now at around 2/3s capacity.

Should be fitting the lights tonight.

Vid here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfgXQELiSVc

Banned

Update on this.

Filled and salted tank, acquired 40kg (90lbs) or so of live rock and a good quantity of live sand from a local guy who was shutting down his tank.

Got scrubber going (ended up with 2 x 30 watt tubes as the 38 watt ones were too long). 18 hours on, 6 off.

Let it bubble for a couple of days, threw in a dead prawn on day one, it rotted nicely and was falling to bits by day 3. No ammonia detected which I figure was a good thing. No nitrite or nitrate at that stage either.

Day 3, removed remains of prawn and added a pair of baby clowns and a small yellow tang. Other life that came with the rock/sand includes a couple of snails, some sand stars and some mushroom anemones.

Been feeding one cube frozen food per day since fish added (3rd day today)

Still no detectable ammonia or nitrite, nitrate starting to appear though (one test kit says trace, another says about 5, give or take)

Not a hint of green in the tank or on the scrubber.

Hey ho! Everything seems happy enough though.

Banned

Today I have some brown splodges.

Quite a lot of em.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information