+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on this?

Banned

Administrator

Re: Thoughts on this?

Good start. Up the cleaning so that each screen does not go uncleaned for more than 10 days max, preferabley 7 while it's still dark.

Banned

Something else I noticed too when I was cleaning the tiles, there are loads (millions probably) of mini pods living under the tiles on the acrylic base of the scrubber. I left the pump running while I cleaned the tiles to wash them out but most were not dislodged (the fish made a quick meal of the ones that were). I left them for now as I figured they might grow out under there and provide a better meal as bigger ones next time I clean. Should I have done this or are they likely to migrate to the other side of the screen and eat the algae?

Administrator

Don't know

Feels a shame to rinse them down the drain seeing the cost a pretty penny for not that many.
    Nice to see a horizontal working.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    Feels a shame to rinse them down the drain seeing the cost a pretty penny for not that many.

Yes it is.

I shall have to think about a method of harvesting them and placing them somewhere else to grow out.

I have a large number of pods in my scrubber bucket. I believe they are mainly isopods (the ones I can see anyhow). I clean the screens off normally and let them be. They do get on the screen rapidly after cleaning but everything seems ok with it. I imagine most scrubbers have them living inside somewhere as they seem very adept at holding on. Your particular design may be such as they have more room and suitable conditions for them to thrive on the scrubber its self.

I'd pretty much bet even if you could get rid of most of the ones you can see or get at it wouldn't make much difference as they would mutliply and accumulate that area again quickly. As long as your scrubber is doing its job I wouldn't be concerned about it. I have some pictures on this forum under "proof of pods" of the isopods I got..i suspect you have a similar type.

Banned

Decided to clean it again this morning after 4 days.

The algae had completely covered the screen and was starting to grow long. It hadn't blocked or formed any islands but I figured it had probably gone far enough to warrant a clean.

Pic here http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2010-5/1356287/photo.jpg

Anyhow, scraped it all out and once drained it weighed 121 grams, 4 days after it's last cleaning.

Phosphate is 0. Nitrate is near to zero.

So in my official capacity as novice scrubber maker I am declaring this scrubber a success!

Many thanks to SM and other for their previous research and advice.

Administrator

Excellent! Great growth, as I had hoped, because of the strong lighting (1.5 watts per gallon). And the large size of 200 sq in one-side (equals 100 sq in two-sided) for just a 50 gal tank, makes up for algae islands trying to block the flow. And finally, the narrow size keeps water flowing over the islands, thereby keeping islands from forming in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information