+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Administrator

Re: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

If the cansister were working, I don't think the water would stay cloudy. Isn't that the main function of a cannister... to filter particles?

Isn't this a new tank? If it is, maybe the system is trying to find a balance point. 1.5 phosphate is super high, so I would not be surprised if you are actually growing phytoplankton (which is healthy, and is what filters the ocean and keeps the oxygen high).

Can you cut your feeding in half while things settle in? There are several other things that can fix this, but the idea is to let the algae handle it. Clean out your canister, foam filter, floss, or any other thing that traps particles (and keep it clean weekly.)

Will be looking for the pics at cleaning time.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    If the cansister were working, I don't think the water would stay cloudy. Isn't that the main function of a cannister... to filter particles?
    This filter - Eheim 2080 have in 80% BIO filter media. But look what I found - This can be a problem: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=79815
    Tomorrow I'll check it and make some modification in this filter.

Isn't this a new tank?
    No. Has more than 1 year.

Can you cut your feeding in half while things settle in?
    Yes, I can

Clean out your canister, foam filter, floss, or any other thing that traps particles (and keep it clean weekly.)
    OMG ! OK, I will do it

Yesterday I change 50% of water.

Today Tests:
    Nitrate: 5-10 ppm
    Phosphate: 1 ppm

Hello,

Today Tests:
    Nitrate: 10 ppm

After test I change 50% of water and I made some modifications.

1. I add filter bag at outlet (after 1 hour I can see little green color on it)
    2. I add value to have better control over the flow (I turn off a little bit flow)
    3. I clean inside a santa black box
    4. I clean my Eheim 2080 and I add some modification to make better mech filtration.
    5. I change light time to 15hours

Thank you Santa for helping If something what I did today is not right, please let me know or if you need more information, pictures, movie...

Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRxDd3fT2c

Administrator

Well there is no growth, so it's no wonder N and P are not dropping. The black box should be packed with growth. Did you put any medications or copper treatments into the water?

Clean the scrubber windows... don't let that stuff build up.

Hello,

Today Tests:
    Nitrate: < 5 ppm )

I did not put any medications or copper into water.

But, after my remodeling eheim 2080 water is much better.

I will put some pictures tomorrow... but it looks like all is going well for now !

Thank you

Mike

Administrator

Look for anywhere that particles could be trapped in the system. Put the scrubber on 18 hours now.

Hello,

Today and yesterday Tests were the same:
    Nitrate: 5 ppm ) )))
    Phosphate: 1 ppm ((((

I changed light time to 18h.

I see that every day is more algae on the screen. Should I clean it now like you said before (after 4 days) or wait couple more days ?

In tank is much less algae (especially on plants and glass), fish are in very good condition - I like it ))),

BUT... water is still little green and cloudy. Is much better than before but it is still not what I had before. - http://www.justin.tv/mmalejko

On the picture below you can see "sock" - is green and dirty. Today I'm planing to put double sock (both 50 micron), because green water in my tank just come out of there. What do you think ?

Thank you...
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures...

Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Did you happen to touch the screen a lot before you put it in? I have a theory that some oils might have gotten on the screen, and algae are having a hard time holding on. I see spots on the screen where some algae let go. It happens to all new screens, but maybe it was more on yours. This pic is clearly algae letting go:

download/file.php?id=741

In the sock, do you see hair algae? I'm not seeing any hair algae in the pics. Evenually you will get hair algae, but for now, since you only seem to be growing very small green algae, when it lets go it colors the water.

So here is what to do: Reduce flow to the scrubber (for now), so that less algae will get washed off. Adjust the flow so there is no pool at the bottom. Leave lights at 18 hours. Remove and clean the screen with a brush (no chemicals or soap, of course). Scrub very good so that any remaining oil will be removed. No algae remaining at all. Put the screen back and let's look at it again in 5 days. No more test are needed until then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information