+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Re: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Hello,

I don't think so that I touched the screen a lot, but I cleaned it today to make sure that this is not the main problem.

In the sock I don't see any hair algae. I made some picture to show you how green was the sock. When I clean it today water was really green... I already double the sock.

I cleaned a screen.

I reduced the flow to the minimum that I could. I can't reduce more because on the end of the screen water does not reach (see picture - water level).

Lights I had changed before at 18 hours.

I let you know for 5 days how is going.

Thank you

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

couple more...

Hello,

This is 5 1/2 day.

Nitrate: 15ppm
    Phosphate: 1 ppm

For the first 3 days water was perfect clean. Now is a little, just a little cloudy. But it is OK...

In the Black Box like before I see on the bottom and on plexiglas some green dust. Sock is a little green, but so far water is fine. Probably because my sock has a double 50 micron walls.

What do you think ?

Mike

more photos...

Administrator

Never seen anything like it. You are basically growing the same thing on your screen that normally grows on the glass, which of course, comes off in a cloud of green. The issue now is why your screen is growing this type of algae, and is not growing the green hair or other types that are growing on every other scrubber in world. Your water just can't be "unique"; something is in the water (or is not in the water) which is causing the difference. I still think that there may be some previous chemical treatment, which may have soaked into the silicone sealant of the tank, that could be a problem. There could also be something in your topoff water. Make sure you are using RODI with 0 TDS (not 1 or 2 TDS), or, use distilled water to be sure. If possible, do a copper test. Also, the food you are feeding... try changing it. There might be chemical additives in it.

There are two options: Sit and wait, or do big waterchanges. If you wait, and don't do any waterchanges at all, eventually the system will probably get back into "sync" with everybody else's tanks, because the algae will either have removed all the "stuff" that's causing the problem, or, the food you feed will put have back in the "stuff" that is missing.

Several big waterchanges, such as 30 percent a day for 10 days (with 0 TDS RODI, or with distilled) would cover any uncertainly even faster, but of course is a hassle. But the goal is to start getting green hair growing on the screen. Once they start, they will take over.

Could this different type of algea be growing because the scrubber is being used on a fresh water tank.

Maybe you can add a plant fertilizer like flourish to make it easier for the green hair algae to start growing.
    At first there was only cyano growing in my scrubber, after adding some fertilizer and KN03 the green stuff started growing.

Administrator

FW or SW makes no difference. They all grow green hair when the N and P come down.

I'm thinking it might be very high iron in the topoff.

I don't think any N or P needs to be added, because plenty green is growing already, just the wrong type. If you had only cyano growing, it just meant your light was too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Never seen anything like it.
    Yea ) I'm special

I still think that there may be some previous chemical treatment, which may have soaked into the silicone sealant of the tank, that could be a problem.
    I am / I was using during the beginning of this time:
    1. melamix (couple weeks ago)
    2. pimafix (couple weeks ago)
    3. aquarium salt (every couple weeks, just couple spoon)
    4. Vitamin B1 - for stingrays - for metabolism (every couple weeks, 2-3 tablet)
    5. Plants tabs - Seachem and Api (couple months ago)
    6. Prime - 15ml - (each 50% water change)
    7. Filter Carbon - (couple mounts ago)

Nothing else...

There could also be something in your topoff water. Make sure you are using RODI with 0 TDS (not 1 or 2 TDS), or, use distilled water to be sure.
    I never use for fresh water RO-DI... never have to...

If possible, do a copper test....
    I'm thinking it might be very high iron in the topoff....
    Well... As I told you before, I have automatic water exchange: http://www.youtube.com/mmalejko#p/u/3/31EM6OmuGxI It is only exchange 1-1,5 gal per hour...
    Go to 55sec. of this movie. There is a pressure regulator - http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053 - my is made by bronze or iron - i'm not sure... Maybe this is a problem. Sometimes when i turn off the system, and than starts again I see some brown water that is going from hose.

The second one (Solenoid valve) is made by brass.

I can turn off the whole system for couple weeks.

Also, the food you are feeding... try changing it. There might be chemical additives in it.
    Food:
    1. Hikari - arowana stick
    2. Frozen market shrimp
    3. crickiets (my own farm)
    4. Hikari pleco food
    5. Earth worms (my own farm)

There are two options: Sit and wait, or do big waterchanges. If you wait, and don't do any waterchanges at all, eventually the system will probably get back into "sync" with everybody else's tanks, because the algae will either have removed all the "stuff" that's causing the problem, or, the food you feed will put have back in the "stuff" that is missing. Several big waterchanges, such as 30 percent a day for 10 days (with 0 TDS RODI, or with distilled) would cover any uncertainly even faster, but of course is a hassle. But the goal is to start getting green hair growing on the screen. Once they start, they will take over.
    I did lots of 50% water change during last couple weeks (when system is starting). I do not have RO-DI... never needed... but if this is necessary, well I will buy (my wife will kill me )) )...

Thank you for ALL, for helping

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    I don't think any N or P needs to be added, because plenty green is growing already, just the wrong type.
    What I meant was a plant fertilizer for FW aquaria without p and N like this one for example: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... urish.html

It just contains trace elements. If plants will benefit from a fertilizer, green algae will too.

Maybe the green algae already growing will grow even faster, or maybe some other type of algae (green hair algae) will benefit more from the added trace elements and starts to take over.

There is no harm in trying! And it's inexpensive.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information