+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Banned

Re: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Get some GHA from another tank (or if there's a FW scrubber user near you, get their scrappings), rub it all over the screen, really rub it in, then leave it for a few hours in the sun in some tankwater with no flow.

That ought to do it.

Administrator

Ok, it's one of these:

Brown topoff water (IRON!)
    Melamix
    Primamix
    Plant tabs

Since lots of green is growing, then it's not copper. And since iron makes algae grow green, I think this is probably it. The plant tabs are also going to have an effect, since algae are plants.

The first cheap and easy thing to do is to stop the Melafix, Primamix, and plant tabs. This you can do today, do a large waterchange, and wait.

If it is the iron in the water (brown!), then you'll need to put a filter of some sort on the topoff water line. You probably don't need an RODI, but just something to remove the iron. You would need to ask a filter person about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica

Ok, it's one of these:

Brown topoff water (IRON!)
    Melamix
    Primamix
    Plant tabs
    Melamix, Pimafix (not Primafix) and Plant tabls I was using couple weeks ago - more than 6-7... I was changing water after that many times, even replace all filter media... I'm sure that this is not a problem.

Right now, I just turn off my automatic water exchange system, and change 60% of water.

Should I clean screen and black box one more time ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinie
    I don't think any N or P needs to be added, because plenty green is growing already, just the wrong type.
    What I meant was a plant fertilizer for FW aquaria without p and N like this one for example: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... urish.html

It just contains trace elements. If plants will benefit from a fertilizer, green algae will too.

Maybe the green algae already growing will grow even faster, or maybe some other type of algae (green hair algae) will benefit more from the added trace elements and starts to take over.

There is no harm in trying! And it's inexpensive.
    Hmm... that make sense... I will try it... but first I turn off my automatic water exchange... maybe the iron is the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy Pumpy
    Get some GHA from another tank (or if there's a FW scrubber user near you, get their scrappings), rub it all over the screen, really rub it in, then leave it for a few hours in the sun in some tankwater with no flow.

That ought to do it.
    Sorry for stupid question.. but what is GHA ?...

Well, there is somebody from MA or CT ? with good algae screen ?

Administrator

Yes clean it; the Green Hair Algae can't grab onto the screen if that powder stuff if there. You don't need to add any algae to the screen; if it's going to grow, it will grow very quickly and fill up the box.

Yes clean it; the Green Hair Algae can't grab onto the screen if that powder stuff if there. You don't need to add any algae to the screen; if it's going to grow, it will grow very quickly and fill up the box.
    Hi,

Yes it was a powder stuff... my whole bathroom is green ))))

OK, I cleaned all media filter (in wetdry filter, including the sock), also I cleaned a screen and black box very carefully. I changed 60% of water.

What next ? Should I start whole system all together, or maybe I wait with scrubber two (2) days, and tomorrow I will change one more time 60% of water... to make sure that all all iron was gone ?

What do you thing ?

And something else ? I should do ?

Thank you one more time !

Mike

Administrator

60 percent tomorrow too. But let the screen grow for 5 days.

Administrator

I'm thinking now that it's probably the silicates in the topoff water, and that they are causing diatoms (which are like powder). Regardless, by fixing the topoff water, they will be removed.

I'm thinking now that it's probably the silicates in the topoff water, and that they are causing diatoms (which are like powder). Regardless, by fixing the topoff water, they will be removed.
    well, but how to fix it ? the best and fast way...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information