+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Re: My Santa Monica - Algae Acrylic Scrubber 100

Hello,

After I close my Automatic Water System water in my tank still green and cloudy, algae is not like hair, they still like powder. I clean everything (filters, scrubber) and change 50% of water. I do NOT start scrubber again. I'm waiting for tests.

Yesterday I sent to the Aquarium Water Test - 4 bottles of water. 2 from my tank and 2 Tap water. On Tuesday I should get by email tests. After that I put it here and maybe you can help me what I need to do. I will sent tests to the Filter Guys, they will help me to decide what kind of filter will be the best for me.

Thanks for patience and for helping ) I will not give up ))))))))))))))))))))

Ufff... I spent 3 hours today to clean everything again... ;(

Mike

Administrator

I'm betting on silicates and iron.

Excess silicates + nutrients should result in a diatom bloom yes.
    But that would be orange/rust colored, not green.
    Hmm.

I would suggest quite a bit of carbon for a week or so. Hard to say what the heck you have chemically,
    so just try to let the carbon soak everything up, and hope it returns to normal.

I put it now a sock of carbon...

And I'm waiting for the results of the tests. After that we should know better what to do, and what is the main problem

Thank you one more time

OK, tests results.

From my Tank

http://www.arowana.pl/santa/michalm%20tank%20water.pdf

Water Test Summary
    Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................Good ......................................... 0.040
    Nitrite (NO2)................................Good ......................................... 0.015
    Nitrate (NO3)...............................Good .............................................1.4
    Phosphate (PO4) .......................... High............................................ 1.39
    Silica (SiO2-3) ............................. High.............................................. 3.0
    Potassium (K) ...............................Low................ .................................5
    Calcium (Ca).................................Low.......... ................................... 102
    Boron (B) .....................................Low.......... ....................................0.2
    Molybdenum (Mo).........................Good .............................................0.0
    Strontium (Sr) ............................. High............................................ 45.6
    Magnesium (Mg) .......................... High........................................... 1938
    Iodine (I¯)................................... High............................................ 0.31
    Copper (Cu++) ............................ High............................................ 0.05
    Alkalinity (meq/L)..........................Low................... ......................... 1.00

and Tap Water:

http://www.arowana.pl/santa/michalm%20tap%20water.pdf

Water Test Summary
    Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................Good ......................................... 0.001
    Nitrite (NO2)................................Good ......................................... 0.001
    Nitrate (NO3)...............................Good .............................................0.1
    Phosphate (PO4) .......................... High............................................ 1.21
    Silica (SiO2-3) .............................Good .............................................0.3
    Potassium (K) ...............................Low................ ............................... 43
    Calcium (Ca).................................Low.......... ..................................... 90
    Boron (B) .....................................Low.......... ....................................0.5
    Molybdenum (Mo).........................Good .............................................0.1
    Strontium (Sr) ..............................Low................. .............................2.4
    Magnesium (Mg) ...........................Low.................... ........................... 88
    Iodine (I¯)...................................Good ........................................... 0.07
    Copper (Cu++) ............................Good ........................................... 0.03
    Alkalinity (meq/L)..........................Low................... ......................... 0.79

Now, I really do not know what to do... It not make sense for me...

What do you think ?

My impression is that you badly need an RO/DI unit.
    Your tap water has a lot of phosphates and silica, and your tank parameters roughly match that. Which is no
    surprise with big water changes. Since those both cause problem algae growth, that is likely the issue.

BTW: You can just buy RO/DI water, if you do not want to pay up front for a fancy filter just yet.
    Most salt water fish stores (not petco) will have it.
    Also, distilled water will work as well. Often available at water supply stores.

Another thought is to stop doing water changes. Risky, but may work.
    The ATS will pull out the phosphates, and the diatoms will pull out the silica.
    But if you do that, check nitrates a lot.

One more thought : What type of sand do you have?
    Could be silica based.

Quote Originally Posted by rygh
    My impression is that you badly need an RO/DI unit.
    I already sent tests results to The filter guys, I'm waiting for the RO/DI filter price.

Another thought is to stop doing water changes. Risky, but may work.
    The ATS will pull out the phosphates, and the diatoms will pull out the silica.
    But if you do that, check nitrates a lot.
    This can be a problem, because I have 2 big Arowanas and 2 Stingrays - they produce a lots of waste !!! I can't not change water, because a couple of months ago I had a problem with high Nitrate and my Arowana looked very bad (fin problem - see a youtube movie youtube.com/mmalejko )... I have to get nitrite below 30-40, if not I will have a big problem, that is why I bought Algae Scrubbers. After 4-5 days my nitrate increase from 15 to even 40...

One more thought : What type of sand do you have?
    Could be silica based.
    I have 3M Colorquartz T Grade (White). Lots of people are using this kind of sand. I know that this is not aquaristic product but everybody say that this type of sand do not change water parameters.

Ok, I think I get the picture. Yes, with that bio load, you have a huge problem.

In fact, the problem seems simple - A single SM100 is simply not nearly big enough.
    With a working, correctly sized ATS, you really should be able to stop changing the water.

SM can correct me here.
    The SM100 is meant for a 100g saltwater tank, which can handle about 1-3 cubic inch of fish per 10 gallons.
    You can go a bit higher for freshwater, but you have really messy type of fish.
    My estimate with your type of fish is that an SM100 can probably handle about 20 cubic inches.
    How big are your fish?

Switching to RODI will likely fix your problem.
    Even undersized, the ATS will still help a lot.
    Although RODI adds some new problems, like ph problems, buffering needs, and such.
    My freshwater PH plunged when I switched. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by rygh
    How big are your fish?
    Black Arowana 1 - 18-19"
    Black Arowana 2 - 16"
    Stingray Motoro 1 - 12"
    Stingray Motoro 2 - 11"
    Pleco L27 - 8"

Can you write me something more about PH problem, when using RO/DI ?

Thank you

Hello,

What do you thing about other high parameters:

Strontium (Sr) ............................. High............................................ 45.6
    Magnesium (Mg) .......................... High........................................... 1938
    Iodine (I¯)................................... High............................................ 0.31
    Copper (Cu++) ............................ High............................................ 0.05

and low...

Potassium (K) ...............................Low................ .................................5
    Calcium (Ca).................................Low.......... ................................... 102
    Boron (B) .....................................Low.......... ....................................0.2
    Alkalinity (meq/L)..........................Low................... ......................... 1.00

Should I worry about those parameters ?

Thank you !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information