+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cyano on the screen?

Re: Cyano on the screen?

I got some algae on my glass, should I clean it or will it dissapear by itself?

I don't have nitrates atm, due to the algae, but would it release too much back if I clean?

Administrator

When you clean the glass, the particles help feed the corals, but the nutrients go back in the water too.

After I added the iron supplements, it turned darker, yet no green hair, only short brown/yellowish. Few bald spots, but seems closes to the center of the bulbs its not as much growth. Might be too close, to much? There are risks involved in overdosing iron to the aquarium, so I'm at the daily dosage, but not sure if its enought, or if something else is _not_ causing the algae to grow green.

Administrator

Long hairs need to attach directly to the screen. So after some cleanings they might start.

I've read all the Norwegian and Swedish forums about this subject, and noone have posted results and pictures before me. I can conclude that this was a great success. My watervalues are perfect, more or less, im not running skimmer, don't change water, and feed alot. I'm going to be upgrading my current 130l into a 1k liter system (300l of wich is a sump) with 6*39w t5ho and acrylic diy box and fixtures. I'm not going to run anything except getting an UV filter for killing paracites and the well sized scrubber as standalone filtration in the sump. Will be posting pictures once the building starts.

Thanks alot for feedback and advice throughout, and also, great work promoting this. Not only am I going to save LOTS of bucks, I'm getting a better system than mechanical setups.

PS! Santa didn't pay me to say this, nor am I a bot.

It's growing massivly, even in the bucket as I did not find a suitable lightshield. Regardless, I'm wondering what's going on. I get small black egglike things, mby 2mm in diameter. What can this be? I'll post pictures later if needed though I'd rather not take anything out untill tomrrow.

Administrator

Sounds like bubble algae

I found (like previously mentioned in this thread) that the algae also gets stuck in the floor of the bucket. What I did to counter this was make horizontal screen hanging on the bottom of my screen like an flat anchor. It grows very good already, and I have effectivly increased my total screen size by 1/3rd. The flow is also very good there due to my drains leaving some water in the bucket at all times.

[code]
    |
    |
    |
    _____
    [/code]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information