+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pH spike, low kH, assume it's down to the scrubber?

Banned

pH spike, low kH, assume it's down to the scrubber?

Hi, tonight I found that my pH had spiked to 8.8 (from 8.1-ish yesterday)

Nothing had been changed in the tank.

I measured the kH and it was very low, between 40 and 50 ppm (about 2.8 dKH), I had previously tested it as low (80ppm) a few days ago, but I had suspected a faulty test as the system is only a little over 2 weeks old and the water was made with a well regarded marine salt (Tropic Marin Pro-Reef)

The scrubber seems to be really steaming on at the moment, I cleaned it on Sunday morning and it's almost recovered the screen now (hair algae, not as long as it was yet) in just 60 hours.

Ammonia & nitrite are zero and nitrate is below 5.

I know that heavily planted tanks can cause kH to fall and pH to spike so I assume that this is probably down to the growing algae taking carbonate from the water?

I've got the pH down to 8.2 by adding quite a lot of Sodium bicarbonate (all I have at the moment) but haven't retested the kH yet.

Questions are -

1. Does the above give a reasonable explanation?

2. What should I be dosing in terms of kH (and anything else) to counteract the effects of the scrubber and how often?

Banned

Re: pH spike, low kH, assume it's down to the scrubber?

Retested the kH and it's about 130 ppm now (7.28 dKH)

Administrator

Alk hardly ever is reported as falling, much less a problem. I think only way your pH could be that high is with dosing kalk. Algae does use some alk, but probably less that the tank does.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Alk hardly ever is reported as falling, much less a problem. I think only way your pH could be that high is with dosing kalk. Algae does use some alk, but probably less that the tank does.

I haven't dosed any kalk, or anything else, except the sodium bicarbonate.

I read that plants/algae can use carbonate instead of CO2, this scrubber is fed from the return pump on the sump and so I guess that there won't be much CO2 in that water? Could it be drawing the alk instead of CO2?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information