+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green on Rocks

Unhappy Green on Rocks

Since I started this 55gal. close to two years ago, I had nothing but trouble from the start. Most of it was due to my lack of experience. The last time I had saltwater tanks was back in the 70's and as you know a lot has changed since then.
    Was plagued with green hair algae. After that cleared then the red hair algae started, and lots of it. I started a scrubber about a year ago but didn't have it really going properly until about 5 months ago. Since then i am getting lots of growth. Most of the red hair algae has disappeared. Just disconnected my hang on refugium about 2 weeks ago. The Cheato was dead and fouling the water. I did take the rocks out several months ago and cleaned them. Its a lot of work but it really helped to clean up the tank. My Algae Scrubber has gotten the Nitrates to 0 and the Phosphates to 0 and has disintegrated most of the red hair algae. I noticed that I'm getting a green film, kind of like moss, on some of the rocks and I was wondering if this is just the last of the phosphates leaching out of the rocks?(see pics) Also, I still have a Prism skimmer running. Is it safe to turn it off at this time? Thanks for all your help in the past. I have learned so much from this site.[attachment=2:2q24q3pg]DSC00300.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg][attachment=1:2q24q3pg]DSC00301.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg][attachment=0:2q24q3pg]DSC00305.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Re: Green on Rocks

If your phosphate has recently got to zero, then yes you will have it coming out of the rocks. It's hard to see in the pics what it is, but it will probably be the last to go.

More pics of green. Seems to be growing on the Monticap also. If this is Green Algae its the first i have seen in a long time.
    Its always been red in the past. It only grows on some rocks and not others. From what i have been reading, it is the Phosphates leaching out and is just gonna take a little more time to clear up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

You can tell if most of the growth is on the skinny edges of rocks... those absorbed the most P because they are thin and P could soak in from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    You can tell if most of the growth is on the skinny edges of rocks... those absorbed the most P because they are thin and P could soak in from all sides.
    That seems to be the way its growing in most of the spots.I'll just keep an eye on it and wait for it to clear up.
    Thanks again SM.

everyone is burdened with those algae. seriously, we cannot completely remove algae because they are part of the marine ecosystem, but we can prevent the algae from forming tremendously in aquariums, lakes, ponds, etc.

What I do is i keep the aquarium away from the sunlight because sunlight is the source of strength of algae. i dont feed fish excessively

Administrator

If you have a strong scrubber running properly, you can put your tank in full sunlight, and feed as much as you want, and you will not have any algae in your tank. The scrubber, however, will be loaded with growth.

My main concern right now is to get the tank to a balanced point were the coraline algae will begin to grow back.
    Right now, its just growing in the shaded areas. Its trying to grow on the crushed coral on the tank bottom.
    I think its just a waiting game at this point and having patience.

I have the same turf algae sprouting here and there from the rocks. It is mostly from areas on smaller and more porous rocks so I assume it's leaching. My yellow tang seems to ignore it as do the hermits oddly enough.

In your case I think it's a two part issue: Firstly, you are likely leaching from your rocks. Secondly, you mentioned you has recently 'rinsed' your rocks. If you used fresh water as a rinse you likely killed a lot of macro and micro fauna within the rocks. Thus giving the algae a large supply of nutrients to thrive on.

Just my two cents, however, I think with time and scrubbing it will burn outta' food and if you have an algae eater (yellow tangs rock for that) you should be back in business in no time.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeros
    I have the same turf algae sprouting here and there from the rocks. It is mostly from areas on smaller and more porous rocks so I assume it's leaching. My yellow tang seems to ignore it as do the hermits oddly enough.

In your case I think it's a two part issue: Firstly, you are likely leaching from your rocks. Secondly, you mentioned you has recently 'rinsed' your rocks. If you used fresh water as a rinse you likely killed a lot of macro and micro fauna within the rocks. Thus giving the algae a large supply of nutrients to thrive on.

Just my two cents, however, I think with time and scrubbing it will burn outta' food and if you have an algae eater (yellow tangs rock for that) you should be back in business in no time.

Good luck!
    Thanks Aeros. When I pulled the rock out to scrub them, I rinsed them off in the water that I siphoned from a water change . Didn't want to take a chance by rinsing them in fresh water. I still have a little red algae hanging on. That stuff is tuff to kill.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information