+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green on Rocks

Hybrid View

Unhappy Green on Rocks

Since I started this 55gal. close to two years ago, I had nothing but trouble from the start. Most of it was due to my lack of experience. The last time I had saltwater tanks was back in the 70's and as you know a lot has changed since then.
    Was plagued with green hair algae. After that cleared then the red hair algae started, and lots of it. I started a scrubber about a year ago but didn't have it really going properly until about 5 months ago. Since then i am getting lots of growth. Most of the red hair algae has disappeared. Just disconnected my hang on refugium about 2 weeks ago. The Cheato was dead and fouling the water. I did take the rocks out several months ago and cleaned them. Its a lot of work but it really helped to clean up the tank. My Algae Scrubber has gotten the Nitrates to 0 and the Phosphates to 0 and has disintegrated most of the red hair algae. I noticed that I'm getting a green film, kind of like moss, on some of the rocks and I was wondering if this is just the last of the phosphates leaching out of the rocks?(see pics) Also, I still have a Prism skimmer running. Is it safe to turn it off at this time? Thanks for all your help in the past. I have learned so much from this site.[attachment=2:2q24q3pg]DSC00300.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg][attachment=1:2q24q3pg]DSC00301.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg][attachment=0:2q24q3pg]DSC00305.JPG[/attachment:2q24q3pg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information