+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copperband woes

Copperband woes

I've had a very nice small copperbanded butterfly fish for the last few weeks, unfortunately he had a mild case of ich, the day after he was placed in the tank, probably from the stress of the move (yes, i should have quarantined). However, thanks to near perfect water quality (0 ammonia/nitrite and around 5ppm nitrate, 0 phosphate, ph 8.4, SG 1.025) it went within 2 days and hasn't returned.
    However, he's been a pig to feed. He ate every single fan and sponge and copepod that came on the liverock (we had a lot) for the first few days, then when they ran out nothing for a few days.
    I tried him on live muscles, both open fully, left closed and partially open and he ignored them completely.
    He won't touch frozen artemia/brine shrimp, he did have a few frozen mysis, but no longer eats them at all.
    I then managed to get him eating on live brineshrimp that I've had literally swimming in very dense live phytoplankton, which they cleared up very quickly, so they were relatively nutritious. However, 10 days of feeding him live brine later (yesterday), he's stopped eating them too, and he's only grazing the rocks, and there's nothing left on them for him to eat now.
    He has a large amount of liverock to graze on and hide in, with lots of swimming space and caves to hide in (53kg / 117lb in a aquamedic percula 90). I'm still offering frozen brine and mysis as well as live brine to all the fish, but he takes a look at them then swims past.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

Re: Copperband woes

Oh yes, forgot to add, I've tried Seachem Entice and Garlic Guard on the frozen food.
    I've also tried "real" garlic slightly crushed in with a small amount of tank water and put the frozen in with that, and it hasn't made any difference

So how is he? start eating? ich?

I'm afraid he didn't survive, just couldn't get him eating again. Tried everything everyone suggested an no luck. The ich didn't come back

I have farms of feather dusters in sand bed and would love one but afraid survival is low. I would recommend solitary tank AND 2 daily feedings of live adult brine shrimp feed with phytoplankton. They seem not to be able to resist feeding response from slow moving live food.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information