+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I get even screen flow?

How do I get even screen flow?

Hi Santa, finally today for the first time I flipped the switch on an acrylic box srubber. I'm using a 30in x 10in double screen (cactus rough) that you made for me (it was your first screen to order I think?). The issue I have is that because it's a bit wavy due to stretching from the holesaw, the water flows down the gaps and not down the ridges in the wave as it exits the pipe. I followed your stats for size of cut in the pipe and it would work a treat if not for the wavy nature of the screen.
    Any ideas for getting an even flow across the screen?
    I have an OR 6500 for flow through 1" pipework and 3ft of head.

Thanks, Dan.

Re: How do I get even screen flow?

Take the screen out and reshape it. Be careful not to kink it. I go through this after cleaning my screen. Sometimes you/I have to sort of roll the screen opposite of the bends in it.

Administrator

A pic would help. If it's when the water comes out of the pipe, then this will even out as growth occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman
    Hi Santa, finally today for the first time I flipped the switch on an acrylic box srubber. I'm using a 30in x 10in double screen (cactus rough) that you made for me (it was your first screen to order I think?). The issue I have is that because it's a bit wavy due to stretching from the holesaw, the water flows down the gaps and not down the ridges in the wave as it exits the pipe. I followed your stats for size of cut in the pipe and it would work a treat if not for the wavy nature of the screen.
    Any ideas for getting an even flow across the screen?
    I have an OR 6500 for flow through 1" pipework and 3ft of head.

Thanks, Dan.
    I had the same problem with mine.I widened the width of the crosscuts and it helped quit a bit. With me, I had to experiment a little to get it to flow evenly. Also widened the gap just a little to fit the double screen.

Bridgport-The cross cuts sound like a good idea to even out flow on the ridge section-thanks.
    Santa-Will post photos, growth may even things out over time, for now the no flow gaps are wide, imagine a ~ where the flow only comes out of the troughs as the screen makes it wavy way along the pipe.
    Skylag-the screen being double and cactus rough with stretching from the holesaw will not even out much at all.

Administrator

I see what you mean now. It's because the slot is wide, allowing the screen room to move from side to side. Try starting with just a 1/4" slot, which will keep the screen in place. A double layer screen can be a tighter fit, because it has room between the layers for extra water to flow.

Ok got some photo's to show the situation with the screen. The arrows indicate the troughs the water flows down leaving the ridges dry. The slot is an even line although it would appear wavy (it's the screen). The slot width is about 3/16s and quite tight.

[attachment=2:1b3n7aqd]Scrubber screen.jpg[/attachment:1b3n7aqd]

[attachment=1:1b3n7aqd]scrubber screen a.jpg[/attachment:1b3n7aqd]

[attachment=0:1b3n7aqd]scrubber screen 2.jpg[/attachment:1b3n7aqd]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

I wouldn't worry. You could make a smaller slot if you wanted, but as long as there is flow, it will fill in by itself, because there will be growth only in flow areas, which will slow the flow there and cause growth in the remaining areas. And being 2-layer, water is still flowing in-between the layers, that you can't see. Try it the way it is, and consider making another pipe in a few months if you don't like it.

If you make another pipe, you'll probably need to cut the screen vertically, so you only have to handle 1/2 at a time. With a tight slot, that full sheet is going to be hard to get into a tight slot; but 1/2 of it will be easy.

Thanks for the feedback. I will just let it run for a month and see what transpires and post up new photos.

Now that there are pictures. It may also be your screen it a tad longer than your slot creating the rippled effect. In the second picture you can see the screen is sort of pushed into the corner instead of just at the end of the slot. Trim the screen a little where it enters the slot so it's not pushed together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information