+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I get even screen flow?

Re: How do I get even screen flow?

As you can see above at day 7 theres pretty good coverage although there are white streaks both sides with no growth. At day one the nitrates were 5 and at day seven they are 2.5, while phosphates were 0.03 on day one and and day seven reduced to zero on salifert tests.
    The coverage at day seven looks quite thick but there isnt really anything to scrape off yet.
    How long before the first scrape?

Administrator

Clean now. It could really handle more flow, but if it's working then you can leave it.

OK, first clean, both sides. I upped the water flow a little which is now almost level with the bottom of the screen, the drain wont handle more without the water level going above the screen base. Lots of water flowing down between the screens, this is almost like having four sides of screen.

[attachment=0:2getzmtr]Scrubber first clean.jpg[/attachment:2getzmtr]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

I had thought that you were maxed out in flow. If it is still adjustable, give it as much as you can; it's actually good to have a little pool at the bottom.

Yeah I've got more if I want it, just concerned over the 'pool' rising too high in the box. Kinda funny at the moment as most of the flow is now cascading down between the sheets. So are you saying it's ok to have some of the screen below water ie an inch in order to raise flow rate?

The pool at the bottom is now green on all sides and humming with pods. So far there's just a pair of Jawfish in the main display spending all day hovering over their holes plucking pods from the water collum.

I also wanted to ask you re CUC and algae eating fish such as tangs and blennies. If the scrubber dominates the algae concentrations does this mean less snails/tangs/blennies in the display as theres little green for them to eat without supplementation?

Thanks.

Administrator

Yes you want the screen in a pool at the bottom

Yes there will be less food for the tangs, unless you feed some it to them, or unless you start feeding liquid coral food which will put giant amounts of N and P into the water which will grow more algae in the tank (and will cause corals to grow much faster too.)

Going forward I clean the screen every 7 days, both sides or one side? and if it's one side, then when 7 days is up I do one side and wait 7 days to do the other side, so one side will wait 14 days before cleaning?

Administrator

Split the screen vertically, and clean one half every 7 days.

Ok srceen at 14 days, algae now starting cover 90% of the screen. Perameters Nitrates 0 Phosphates 0 (on Salifert tests).[attachment=1:1j17gwh2]scrubber @14 days.jpg[/attachment:1j17gwh2]

Screen at 14 days with half clean and tap water wash down.
    [attachment=0:1j17gwh2]scrubber 14 day half clean.jpg[/attachment:1j17gwh2]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just wondering about the covering in patches over the sand in the main display of presumably diatoms its dark red/brown/green in places and thick. Is this still to be expected?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information