+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pods pods and more pods!

Pods pods and more pods!

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get more pods from the ATS into my display tank where the fish can make good use of them. The way I run my ATS now, there is a filter sock below the ATS that is catching all the water (and pods) draining out of the ATS. The filter sock has the job of catching loose algae and floating debrise that get past the ATS. I don't want that stuff mucking up my sump and display tank! No corals - just fish in the tank. I imagine that the sock is catching whatever pods are dropping out of the ATS. I've removed the filter on the return pump so that this second filter doesn't catch pods. I recall reading that some folks place their ATS above the tank so that the water exiting the ATS runs right into the display tank but this would still have the issue with loose algae making its way back into the tank. I clean my ATS every 4-6 days already. Thanks in advance!

Re: Pods pods and more pods!

Both of my ATS's are above my tanks. I have always used a bubble screen to keep the spray down on the return pipe.However, many of the pods were getting caught in the screen. But just recently, I took the screens off and let it flow straight in. I haven't noticed any excess algae in the tank. I think if you clean the screen as often as you do , the loose algae wouldn't be a problem.There also seems to be increased growth in my Kenya tree and Frogspawn since I've taken the screen off.
    Hope this helps.

Feels bad to wash them down the drain huh? I don't use any filtering media at all. I've been just letting everything circulate through my tank and sump. The drain system on mine is currently setup like a nirmal sump where there is space and the flow slow enough that debris settles at the bottom. Haven't seen your ATS, but seen plenty where the outlet is right on the bottom of the container. Maybe if it were raised up about 4-5 inches things would settle in the bottom instead of making it back to the display.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    Feels bad to wash them down the drain huh? I don't use any filtering media at all. I've been just letting everything circulate through my tank and sump. The drain system on mine is currently setup like a nirmal sump where there is space and the flow slow enough that debris settles at the bottom. Haven't seen your ATS, but seen plenty where the outlet is right on the bottom of the container. Maybe if it were raised up about 4-5 inches things would settle in the bottom instead of making it back to the display.
    Both of my drains are on the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Next time I clean, I'm going to put the scrappings into a plastic container with some SW and an airstone, leave it in sunlight and see if I can culture pods, grow them larger and then harvest them with a turkey baster.

Like this but substituting the algae scrappings for the phyto

http://www.ehow.com/how_5852446_culture-copepods.html

Oh! I have seen yours. Again very nice. Maybe becasue it's gravity return it pulls more crud with it to the display? What if you were to put something like 1/4 netting in front of the exit to allow small thing through but not larges clumps of algae like you don't want?
    Fun project Rumpy. Maybe I'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeport
    Both of my ATS's are above my tanks. I have always used a bubble screen to keep the spray down on the return pipe.However, many of the pods were getting caught in the screen. But just recently, I took the screens off and let it flow straight in. I haven't noticed any excess algae in the tank. I think if you clean the screen as often as you do , the loose algae wouldn't be a problem.There also seems to be increased growth in my Kenya tree and Frogspawn since I've taken the screen off.
    Hope this helps.

Hello Bridgeport,

By bubble screen, are you referring to one like in this youtube video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxUJtkKZmQ Or are you referring to something totally different? Is that a 92 gal corner tank setup?

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    Oh! I have seen yours. Again very nice. Maybe becasue it's gravity return it pulls more crud with it to the display? What if you were to put something like 1/4 netting in front of the exit to allow small thing through but not larges clumps of algae like you don't want?
    Fun project Rumpy. Maybe I'll do the same.
    Hey Sklywag, Yep, my SM ATS makes a ton of algae in no time. I do like the idea you are proposing of using some sort of more open strainer instead of the sock. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chrissu
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeport
    Hope this helps.

Hello Bridgeport,

By bubble screen, are you referring to one like in this youtube video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxUJtkKZmQ Or are you referring to something totally different? Is that a 92 gal corner tank setup?
    This is the bubble trap I was using on both tanks. The only problem is it tends to foam up the surface of the water, but it might work much better in a tank that's balanced out. Both of my tanks are still leaching out a lot of phosphates from the rocks. However, I'm getting zero readings on P and N.It has a hole at the end which would allow the pods to escape. If your interested in using one, I can PM you the website.

Administrator

If you can see through it, pods should get through it, since the pods are baby specs, less than 7 days old.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information