+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Reefer/Tank Ideas

New Reefer/Tank Ideas

Hi guys,

I've been researching salt systems/creatures/equipment for about 2 mths, just learning as much as I can so I make the best purchases for growing into the right build for what I want etc and I'd like to go with an algae scrubber system (no artificial filtration) with maybe 3 green Chromis to start and end goal of having a well seeded copepod population for a long time before a mandarin can feast, a couple of clowns, one anemone and perhaps a cleaner shrimp and goby that work together symbiotically - ultimately I'll have acropora etc if I can deal with the husbandry getting my methods and params down etc. But all in time. It would be a generally peaceful tank.

Where the experts (you guys, I presume) would be useful, is in advising what kind of system relationship I should choose within a 55gal capacity understanding I want to follow Santa Monica's general guidelines for a scrubber w/35 GPH/IN throughput and minimum 1 inch squared per gallon while having a Sump that could double as a copepod reserve for when the Mandarin is introduced and devours one year's worth of pods (if possible). A marine biologost online had mentioned copepods will survive an impeller for the most part.

So, back to the build: I have my eye on a 55 Gal Reef Ready/top included/built in overflow/surface skimmer which is 6" x 6" and was thinking of buying a Mega Flow Overflow to fit the 2 x 1" pre-drilled holes that would meet with the scrubber. I would have 2 Koralias for flow/gas mix. The intake from the display tank would go out to the scrubber and into the sump, then return to the tank; scrubbed and podded. There will be live sand, live rock in the DT. The benefit of this tank would be no visible plumbing at all in the DT and no commercial high priced filters that take food out and leaving the crap.

The tank:
    http://www.truvuaquariums.com/marr0060r.html

The Lighting (upto 216 watt VHO):
    http://www.truvuaquariums.com/tet54la54w48.html
    Maybe get half actinic and half daylight bulbs to ramp up later for corals.

Overflow/Scrubber intake (upto 600GPH):
    http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=12078
    (Anyone know why it says all glass?)

Koralias most have likely heard of and as for pump(s) I'd like about 600-700GPH submersible to deal with pipes bends and head height etc and throttled to balance with valves. Not sure about clear tubes vs sched. 40 pipes. What do you think? I think the overflow outputs to a tube, but I'll have to double check.

Total cost for the setup is right now around $900 but will likely go up as I find new things needed.

Could something close to that, work?...as I've never set one up. How do I do this using the equipment concepts I mentioned? Am I on the right path? BTW Santa Monica, I can tell it's important to you to deal with creature keeping in a conscious natural way- admirable. Good luck with the scrubber biz.

Administrator

Re: New Reefer/Tank Ideas

I can only reply on what I know about... the rest would be good to ask on a general reef site.

You don't need to "save up" pods for a mandarin. They are born everyday in a scrubber, and the tiny white dots will be throughout your tank within a week. A good-working scrubber on a 55 gal could probably feed three medium size mandarins right away.

Tank lighting: You'll need much more that 55 watts for your display, for acropora.

No clear tubes; opaque only.

Thanks Santa Monica, knowing I don't have to save up pods is encouraging. Do you figure a 10" square double sided scrubber would be enough to maintain one mandarin's Pod needs indefinitely provided there is little competition? Sorry if my questions should be posed in a general reef forum, but I feel as though most reefers still don't use scrubbers, so the likelihood of getting an experienced answer could be significantly decreased...

Administrator

It should be enough for two or three medium mandarins. But start with one and make sure he's eating a pod every 5 seconds or so, before adding another.

Your overflow standpipe can be built for about 5 bucks. Doesn't even need glued.

I think SM missed something in the light area. Or maybe I'm missing something. I think 4x54(216) watt T5s would be fine for a 55g. I'm only running 6x54 over a 90g 22 inches deep and growing everything.

With a good return pump you really would'nt need additional powerheads in tank. Scrubber can also be fed directly from overflow too. Mine is as is a lot of others.
    Click thumb to make bigger. Mine is a less desirable horizontal. Take ten minutes to make vertical but I'm a lazy bones.

Very very nice. Thanks for the pics.

sklywag, thanks for sharing your setup info and pic; Well it looks like your algae likes it's home. I see you caught that lighting The lighting is 216 watts HO for a now 60 gallon tank instead of a 55. I decided to have a custom rimless one made that's 48L x 18W x 16D for 180 bucks! The 16" depth should make lighting real effective too. So if I go out from the durso through a 1" bulkhead to the scrubber, would a 90 degree PVC joint limit flow significantly? I'm not sure if gravity will pour enough water through the scrubber and allow a 600 GPH pump to push it back into the tank without having to dial back via a valve (1" bulkhead supposedly allows 600 GPH, but I've never confirmed this myself as I'm quite new to this). I have so many questions! Thanks again everyone!

I can only say what I have:
    I have 500 GPH, with a 3/4" bulkhead in full-siphon, and a 1" bulkhead for the small bit of leftover flow.
    So I would guess a 1" bulkhead can handle 600 GPH, but probably only in siphon mode, so very hard to tun that for no-noise.

A 90-deg elbow will have an effect, but not much at the slow speeds of a gravity driven flow. Much more important on pump lines.

That 16" might be a bit shallow for a reef.
    It is outside dimensions, you have say 1-2 inches of sand, and 1-2 inches above surface of water.
    So that could effectively be less than a foot of water. Not much room for fish and coral. They grow!

Lightbulb Re: New Reefer/Tank Ideas

Thanks for telling me about your experience rygh, you could very well be right about the depth... I haven't ordered the new rimless glass tank yet, or asked if the builder has the acrylic (likely do) or an existing corner overflow they could pop in either/cut/drill, so I'm glad to talk with experienced people like yourself about this stuff in the meantime. If I take the 18" deep, I'll get the added bonus of extra gallonage (don't think that's a word :P) and grow space, as you mention. What I didn't say in my earlier posts is I really like some microalgaes as well, so would likely balance out reef rock with macros; scapewise. I've got some stuff to ponder. :arrow: I'll probably do some draw ups of what i want it to actually look like before I pay for either lol.

For tank depth, setup, and aquascaping, you might want to check out reef central, and post there.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php
    But you will get lots of conflicting opinions of course.
    Don't just draw it. Cut up some cardboard and paper, and tape it to a chair, see what it looks like.

If it makes you feel better, I am having a real trouble deciding on my new tank size as well.
    I am upgrading from my 55G to something between 220 and 300.

Be warned that with a strong ATS, macro-algae may not do so well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information