It’s true that your surface area is probably under sized but with the equipment that you have, the scrubber will act as a supplement rather that the primary water purifier. If anything, the skimmer may starve the algae a little bit.

Scrubbers work very well without any surge but many established proponents of turf algae scrubbers feel that you give up around 50% of the efficiency without it. Therefore, if the screen flaps because of the current, then that would be a good thing. You don’t want the algae to get matted. Some of the people on this site find that their vertical designs mitigate this problem with the downward flow of the water but on a flat screen, surge is valuable.

If you don’t have room for that on your scrubber, then it should still work anyway. If you feel like putting up with some of the other potential problems that were mentioned by SantaMonica, then why not try it.

Once you have it for a while, you might find that you love it or that it’s not for you. That is kind of what I did but I loved it and disconnected everything else. I designed a 6” high scrubber that goes on top of the tank. If you find that you like ATS(s), one can be custom made to fit your tank.