+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting up a breeder system I need some input please

Setting up a breeder system I need some input please

So I'm getting into breeding and I'm setting up a tank with a scrubber. It seems to me for a breeder it would be even more of a god sent due to filtration and dissolved oxygen for the young and no disturbing things with water changes. I'll introduce copepods manually to the system from a clean culture.

I'd like to keep things as clean and sterile as humanly possible. no disease or extra critters. I'd like to keep everything under precise control. I'll have the scrubber in a walmart tote type sump. I had toyed with the idea of having no organic rock or substrate in the system and just relying on the scrubber. I'm not certain that is a great idea. Then I thought If I put some DIY GARF rock in the system sump then that could grow the bacteria on that but do it cleanly. The rock is VERY porus the way I make it. There won't be any substrate or anything much else in the tanks to hold onto the bacteria. I'm doing my best to avoid organic live rock to keep any nastiness away from my system.

I've read your post santimonica about the breeder scrubber reccomendations. I'll be roughly following that.

I'm looking for input from you guys. I posted on a breeders forum but i'm not expecting much valuable input seeing as most of them are not running an algae scrubber.

Administrator

Re: Setting up a breeder system I need some input please

Scrubbing for a breeder is simply proportional to the feeding. Gallons no longer apply. So try to figure how much more you will be feeding, compared to an average reef tank of the same size. For my continuous liquid feeding, plus my eel feeding, I'm doing 16,000 lumens, 200 square inches, and 1,600 gph, for 100 gallons. I'm getting about 2 lbs wet algae per week.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information