Thread: Working on new scrubber. Would like others opinion

Threaded View

Working on new scrubber. Would like others opinion

[attachment=0:2jh046dx]Newscrubber.jpg[/attachment:2jh046dx]

Here is my current concept for my new scrubber I'm building. Nothing radical particularly.

I really wanted to keep the cheap CFL's I can get them for like $1 each.

So this screen is going to be 12X12 so I'm looking for like 120 watts or so. I'd go with 24x6 but i jsut can't justify buying a new pump to support that.

I'm trying to increase coverage with the CFL and even things out to reduce the spot light issue with only good growth in the center. so I planned on NOT using spot lights..just bare CFL with reflectors

The problem is if I use 23watters I'm looking at a whole hell of a lot of watts! My flow will be 50gph for a high bio breeder setup.

The diagram shows in red a reflector in the bulb area. If I used 13w CFL that would bring me down to 150W but I'm not sure if even in this configuration if 13w CFL if I place them very close(2") with the refelctor if they will be enough. I'm prepared to go with 18w or 23w lights but I'm trying to keep my power consumption down. I was hoping someone had a reasonable idea if I'd get away with the 13w in this configuration with the reflector or not.

The other question is if I DID go with 12 23w cfl would that be too much? thats 2w per sq inch. Ideally I'd like to stay lower. 276w is a hell of a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information