+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here is ROUGH google sketch up pics of my breeder design

Re: Here is ROUGH google sketch up pics of my breeder design

Well I've been really busy with work 65+hrs a week. Not to mention the fact that apparently no brick and mortar ANYWHERE in the area carries acrylic weld(weld-on or anything). SO I took a trip to the glue isle of the local homedepot and mendards(just like homedepot). I found Plastic epoxy stated acrylic right on the package. BULLSHIT. I glued that damn thing together and two days later I go to pick it up and the f'n thing just FELL APART. I tried several other methods. I used paintstripper that has the ingredient that is usually the main ingrident in acrylic weld. it didn't work so well..it did work..kinda. not good enough. I tried pvc cement..actually worked a little better..but still no go for water. Then I remembered I had used super glue. Now super glue is probably the only glue that actually forms a really nice solid bond to acrylic. The job doesn't need to be all that pretty..I don't feel like ordering weldon and waiting. So I picked up a couple tubes of this:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/4/3/sg ... ontrol.htm

This stuff is fantastic for glueing acrylic! Its not brittle like standard super glue..which is superglues major downfall. So I prepped each joint with alcohol and started to glue. Thus far its water tight and is bonded very well. I'm not finished. But here are some prelim pictures
    [attachment=0:27d4ecb6]IMG_3209.JPG[/attachment:27d4ecb6]
    [attachment=1:27d4ecb6]IMG_3210.JPG[/attachment:27d4ecb6]
    [attachment=2:27d4ecb6]IMG_3208.JPG[/attachment:27d4ecb6]

The Glue holding the sockets in is still the "plastic/acrylic" epoxy...so its godda be redone. seriously after I took that picture. I grabbed the 12x12 pieces by one of the sockets and even gently picking it up the socket just came clean off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

slow progress but its moving along when I get the time. I make the light panels removable.

[attachment=0:249mg3et]IMG_3229.JPG[/attachment:249mg3et]
    [attachment=1:249mg3et]IMG_3228.JPG[/attachment:249mg3et]
    [attachment=2:249mg3et]IMG_3227.JPG[/attachment:249mg3et]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good.

A standard 2 part epoxy (5 minute, or otherwise) works quite well, but the absolutely key trick is to rough up
    the acrylic. Use 80 grit sandpaper, and scrape hard.
    An epoxy bond is actually mechanical, not chemical, so you need tiny edges for the epoxy to grasp.
    Once you do that, and wait a full day to harden, the acrylic will break before the bond will.

Never used "plastic epoxy" specifically though. Might be some specific problem with that and acrylic.

Sorry if i'm bringing up a dead post, but I wanted to share the info with others and thought this would work since it was being discussed here.

If you are looking for a good adhesive for acrylic, buy some Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride). It is a chemical bond and works great for me. Look around and you should be able to buy it easily from any chemical supply store. My place always asks what it's for (post 9/11 requirements), so i tell them acrylic work and everything is fine. Just be sure to wear good gloves (not latex) because the stuff is toxic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information