+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double up on the screen?

Double up on the screen?

I got my scubber the other day THANKS! Ive been reading about using 2 screens. Can I just zip tie another screen onto the ones at the top of the screens??

Im waiting to order my pump, I know you reccomend Eheim but what about Mag9 pumps?

Thanks
    Piratefish
    There is a direct relation connecting the decline of pirates and the increase of global warming

Administrator

Re: Double up on the screen?

Stay with one layer of screen... the slot is designed for it. And it works mighty well.

I have no info on pumps... I've only used the Eheims.

I have room to mount the scrubber above the tank (on the side wall). Is it worth the added benefit to have the water drain into the main tank? It will take one big ass pump to get that 800gph at 6ft. Or can I draw the water from the main tank or from the overflow instead of the sump???
    There is a direct relation connecting the decline of pirates and the increase of global warming

Administrator

If you are going to be serious about growing corals, eventually you'll want the scrubber above the tank. As the live pods hit the water they will scurry for cover in the rocks, and the corals will sting and eat them.

But to start out with, and because you'll want to be looking into the scrubber every day for the first six month or so to see what's going on, keep it down low. Filtering will be the same, and the pumping will be easier. Then next year you can see if you still want to put it up high. Where you get the water from does not matter, so long as the pump inlet is near the waterline at the top, so that if a tubing leaks or breaks, only the top inch or so of tank water will be pumped on to the floor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information