+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time to change tubes?

Banned

Time to change tubes?

I've had my scrubber running for 3 months now

(reminder viewtopic.php?f=2&t=584 )

The water parameters are still fine no detectable nitrate or phosphate

The scrubber is still producing plenty of algae but lately it appears to be a different type. It is brownish, soft, not very tough, more slime than algae really, but it's still doing the job.

Would this be because the tubes are aging now?

The tubes are 2 x 30w 3500k florescents

Administrator

Re: Time to change tubes?

Yes.

Check the pump too. Tends to slow down gradually and you don't notice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Yes.

Check the pump too. Tends to slow down gradually and you don't notice.

Cheers SM, the pump seems fine, I give it a scrub now & then, but I'll have a look.

Tubes changed, will see how it goes.

Banned

Well, two weeks, and a couple of cleanings later, not much difference.

It's still growing more brownish soft stuff than "proper" algae. It does seem a bit darker with the new tubes and there's a bit more of it but it's the same stuff.

I've taken to just washing it off by rubbing lightly with my fingers than scraping, to allow the green stuff underneath to get more established.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that it's a horizontal scrubber, so the flow is not quite as rapid as you'd get with a horizontal one. The area around the inlet which has more rapid flow does have a nice covering of thick green "turf" type algae.

I'm not particularly fussed though, since it's doing a good job & all relevant parameters are still testing zero and the livestock seems well and happy.

I may very well build a vertical one eventually though as I like a tinker and it'd be interesting to see the difference.

Administrator

If your test are zero, and there is no algae in your tank, and your scrubber is just not growing much, then that means you can start feeding more since your scrubber is absorbing everything and has more room to grow.

Rumpy. It seems we're in the same boat. Mine is brown with a green tinge. But is definitely hair algae. I also run a horizontal.

Doesn't look thick when running but is about 1/2-3/4" long each week and pretty tough to scrape off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    Rumpy. It seems we're in the same boat. Mine is brown with a green tinge. But is definitely hair algae. I also run a horizontal.

Doesn't look thick when running but is about 1/2-3/4" long each week and pretty tough to scrape off.

Mine is soft and comes off easily, much longer strands that that too, It seems to be getting a bit less now though and the green stuff is building back up again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information