+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone used an algae scrubber in a planted FW tank?

Has anyone used an algae scrubber in a planted FW tank?

While I have some plants and years ago have had a heavily planted tank I am curious what anyone else experiences have been?

A cool link for FW planted tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNTMAf8KTI

Long time Takashi Amano fan.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_home

Administrator

Re: Has anyone used an algae scrubber in a planted FW tank?

Some have, but if you have enough plants you should not have an algae problem. If your scrubber is too strong, your plant won't live. It is a balance.

Could not get the youtube to play... youtube and me don't get along.

Thanks for the reply.

Wondering instead of using CO2,from a pressurized tank, to stimulate growth could using a scrubber, which has the lights on opposite the tank lights produce enough CO2 to affectively stimulate growth? Might also provide a quick/backup way to remove nutrient spikes.

I have heard of people using duckweed as way to identify or catch unexpected spikes in nutrient levels i.e. it is useful because it can grow so fast.

The youtube link works on my end ?????

If you're still interested search for error31001 on youtube and it's under Takashi Amano.

Administrator

Algae takes up far more CO2 than it lets out, so it would not work to provide any to the plants.

A planted tank is essentially a plant scrubber. Before going reef I always had freshwater tanks. Mine were really indoor ponds. Enough plants as stated, algae has nothing to use to grow. My last few tanks were also stagnant. Amano would have snickered at mine or at least tell me to take the next step. Or not. I'm sure he appreciates even the most basic of aquaria as long as it is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    A planted tank is essentially a plant scrubber.
    Agree.

So how could a algae scrubber still be useful?

Some thoughts that I am having and implementing.

I am using pots that have a large amount of nutrients/"soil" in them with plants (swords right now) that are mainly root feeders.

With the scrubber still hooked up there is a way for any of the nutrients that "leak" into the water to be consumed.

This pots are actually layered with the riches layers at the bottom.

The pot method is nice because you don't need to spend so much on the whole bottom of the tank.

And the maintenance is easier with only a thin layer of gravel for most of the bottom.

Thoughts and/or comments?

I can't see it being a good application or necessary unless in koi tank or something like that.

I have always used a healthy amount of java moss that can grow in or out of water is tend to be a phosphate sponge to keep tank in line. I never did as well without it.

Really all that is needed for planted tank is CO2 and pH regulator and a little water movement. Dosing KNO3, rarely spiking NaHPO4, KCL and iron is necessary. Advanced palnt keepers can look at plants and tell what is lacking. I would recommend deeper fine gravel not pots.

My experience is it would build up and up till it looked great and only last 4 weeks till it got over run aesthetically. too me reef keeping is easier in many ways as progression of tank is 5 years not 8 weeks to 4 months.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information