Between this site and RS, I have looked at dozens and dozens of scrubber designs, and in designing my own (for customers), I have one main question. Is there any way to compare one type of lighting system to another when it comes to the strength of your scrubber?

What I'm referring to, mainly, is the scrubber efficiency when using T5HO lamps versus CFLs. As far as lumen output per watt used, that can be measured or is provided generally by the manufacturer of the lamp.

What really makes a difference, in my opinion, is the fact that most CFLs are concentrated light sources, and regardless of what kind of reflector you use, you end up with spot concentrated algae growth. I have seen this in many scrubber examples. It works and it's cheap, but for me, price is not the issue - efficiency is.

What I have worked on designing is a system (Santa Monica 100 knock-off) that uses 2 sets of 2 horizontal 24" T5 HO lamps (24W each) and Sunlight Supply TEK II Retrofit Reflectors on a 20" wide, 6" high screen (that is the actual lit are of the screen - I have subtracted out the area of the screen that is in the pipe, the area shielded from the light, and the area underwater at the bottom). To me, it seems like this arrangement would produce an much, much more efficient filter than a system of similar screen size (as far as square inches goes) but instead using the same lumen output equivalent of CFLs. So is it possible that you can actually use less total T5HO lamp wattage and achieve the same results than if you used the recommended 1 WPG CFL wattage?

What I'm worried about is if I design my filters, and they end up being too powerful because I'm using the HO lamps and top-end reflectors. The TEK IIs are supposedly extremely efficient compared to other similar reflectors (they have something like 28 bends instead of 16)