+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to build a Scrubber for a 140

Administrator

Re: Want to build a Scrubber for a 140

Well, growth requires food, and all the methods you said you tried actually remove food from the water. Some people will argue that carbon dosing creates bacteria (which it does) which feed the corals (which they do), but skimmers remove bacteria, so you are back to square one.

All you need for natural reef growth is free-circulating water in your system (no mechanical filters of any kinds), and your scrubber. The scrubber will also supply what algae supplies in the ocean: Vitamins, amino acids, etc, so that you don't have to dose them manually like other people do. After all, in the ocean, algae does all the filtering and all the feeding. 100% of it.

I do feed but it isn't working either. I have had several successful tanks in the past but it just isn't working here. I know several people whose tanks are successful doing the same as myself. I am missing the mark here somehow. So the scrubber is going in. Although not running a skimmer and all the other stuff goes against everything I know I will disconnect it as you suggest. What the heck, what do I have to loose. If this works out I will be going to a smaller sump and no doubt my electric bill will go down. What I would really like to see is some pictures of sps/acro tanks that are being run successfully on a scrubber and no skimmer etc.

Administrator

Successful sps people usually only care about test numbers here, not pics, but if you search other forums you will find them.

Finally, got the scrubber up and running. So now we wait. Question I have is the water flowing down the screen appears to be flowing more on one side than the other. Is this a problem? I can increase the flow with the turn of a valve. I can give it as much flow as I need to but it really starts making alot of splashing noise. I machined an 1/8" wide slot in the tube, you think I should go wider?

Administrator

The flow wil fill in as the growth occurs, so don't change anything.

cool thanks

Is it ok to run lights 24/7 till the scrubber starts growing algae or should it be set up 18on/6off from start. Also should the screen be cleaned once a week no matter what?

Administrator

Just do 18/6 hours ,and 7 days, from the beginning.

Scrubber has been running since Sunday and in 4 days it is starting to get brownish looking growth on it. Should the screen be cleaned completely or should only one side be cleaned. Skimmer has been taken off line also

Administrator

Clean both sides lightly at 7 days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information