+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to build a Scrubber for a 140

Want to build a Scrubber for a 140

Hey folks. New to the forum and I am very interested in building a scubber for my tank. It is sps dominated and I have been fighting with it for months now. I am getting virtually no grow, none, nada, zero. Colors are decent at best. I have tried everything, vodka, vineager, aggressive skimming, gfo etc. ect. and lots of water changes. Seen another member from another board who has been running a scrubber and said it was the best edition to his tank he had ever done and highly recommended I do the same. Well here I am. So where to start. It's a 140 gal. with a 75 gal sump. 3 sections, skimmer, refugium, and skimmer. The problem is I am very tight on space so the scrubber would have to be placed over the sump some how. So I am looking for ideas and how to's here. I would like to get this done asap. I am sick and tired of fighting with this tank. Been in the hobby for 20 yrs and have never had as many problems as I've had with this tank. Pretty excited about this and hoping for good results.
    Thanks in Advance

Administrator

Re: Want to build a Scrubber for a 140

Remove the skimmer and macros from the fuge (if any). Sump is best just an open water container. Use the open space for the scrubber.

Make a screen 14 X 10 = 140 square inches. Put 4 CFL bulbs on it: 2 X 25 watts on each side.

See the faq for details: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Remove the skimmer and macros from the fuge (if any). Sump is best just an open water container. Use the open space for the scrubber.

Make a screen 14 X 10 = 140 square inches. Put 4 CFL bulbs on it: 2 X 25 watts on each side.

See the faq for details: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68
    Ok the sump is 4ft long. If the scrubber only needs to be 14" long it could be placed in the return area of the sump or the fuge area. Would that be best. The skimmer is placed in the overflow (from tank) to sump area. You think it best to remove the skimmer before the scrubber in up and running full strength? Also when you say cfl bulbs are you talking about the curly q looking flourescent bulbs? Would it be best if they were in some type of reflector so as to direct the light more towards the screen? Sorry about all the questions but I hope to have this up and running this weekend and want to make sure I know where I'm going before I get there. Also plan to build this out of pvc. 1/2" or 3/4" pvc? I work in a machine shop, how much wider should I make the slot down the middle for the screen to fit into, and should there be slots cut at 90 degrees to the slot going thru length of pipe. I plan to use the pump that feeds my chiller to feed the scrubber so having enough flow will not be a problem.
    Thanks for you patience and advise.
    Robert

i just built my first scrubber also. yes he is talking about the curly q bulbs. and yes to a reflector. i used a clip-on drop light that has the big cone shaped reflector on it . but you can just use the flood/spot cfl bulbs that have a reflector built-in. as far as the slot goes i'm not sure...mine is a loose fit and i think i should go even bigger but only santamonica can tell us for sure

Before I built my scrubber, my skimmer sat idle in the sump for about three weeks. Which forced me into action. Shut that thing down while building the scrubber. You said you want it up and running by the weekend. That should be enough time. Sit back and enjoy the quiet. Plus it will compete with the scrubber. I feed mine right from the overflow. I use a HERBIE type and only have the valve open maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 for flow. I run a Quiet One 6000(1506gph) for a return on a 90 gallon tank for idea. With a Durso I'd have it wide open. But that's another topic.

Built mine right into existing sump/fuge. Went horizontal, but vertical is best. I've built it in my head but haven't moved on it yet.

The slot on my screen was made with a 1/8 inch disc in a Dremel and my sort of wobbly hand. Turned out just right. Lucky me.

I have seen some one on here with the added 90 degree cuts like you asked about. Not needed. But doesn't hurt.

New covered the lights well.

I have dual overflows and was thinking about using one of the overflows to feed the scrubbers. Not sure if that is feasable right now. I have a 75 gal. sump but giving serious thought to pulling it out and putting a 40gal in its place and not having the refugium section. or the skimmer section for that matter. If the scrubber will support the tank by itself that would be very cool. I could get rid of some pumps for sure. Now do people still run carbon along with the scrubber.
    Also doesn't this forum notify by email when you get replies on threads your involved in?? Will be working on the scrubber this weekend and hopefully have it going.

You could easily downsize your sump. But then the room to be able to throw a problematic fish or other inhabitant is nice.
    I have seen set ups with people running other types of media such as carbon. I don't. The reason? None other than I am a very basic no frills keeper. When people come by to get things such as Xenia, Kenya tree and Encrusting Gorg. from me. They grow pretty well in my tank. They are amazed that there is nothing to my system and question why they're running so much on theirs. They then go home and do a search on scrubbers.

I have dual overflows too. Only use one. The other is an emergency overflow if the one in use gets clogged for some reason.

Posting notice? There might be a box to check for it. I haven't seen or looked for one. I just pop in from time to time.

Administrator

Here is where you select to be notified:

ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

If the scrubber only needs to be 14" long it could be placed in the return area of the sump or the fuge area. Would that be best.
    For nutrient reduction, it does not matter where you put it.

You think it best to remove the skimmer before the scrubber in up and running full strength?
    If it will give you more room, yes. The skimmer is not doing anything to reduce nutrients, and never has, so removing it won't change anything. All it does is remove food, and if you need to remove food, why are you overfeeding?

Also when you say cfl bulbs are you talking about the curly q looking flourescent bulbs? Would it be best if they were in some type of reflector so as to direct the light more towards the screen?
    Something like this:

Also plan to build this out of pvc. 1/2" or 3/4" pvc?
    3/4

should there be slots cut at 90 degrees to the slot going thru length of pipe.
    Not needed.

Ok one more question. Is bigger better in this case? I'm assuming 14x10 is a minimum dimension. So If i build one say 18 or 20 by 10 would there be any benefit? Because if I remove the skimmer I will have lots of room for a larger scubber. Almost forgot. Does the screen go up into the slot a little or just directly below? I know LOTS of questions..... I like getting as much info. as possible before hand so I have a planned attack with fewer glitches along the way.

Administrator

A little bigger won't hurt, but you must have strong light across the whole thing, so it will require more bulbs.

The screen goes into the slot; does not matter how far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information