+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would like a few tips or suggestions

Unhappy Would like a few tips or suggestions

I am constructing ATS with materials I have on hand.

I have an old acrylic 14" X 14" X 20" tall refugium with 1" in left top left and 1" outlet top right.

I will have plastic canvas from 2 slots and drain from new bulkhead at 6" from bottom.

Two sheets getting double sided flow will be 12" X 12" in air, or ~400 square inches. They drain over broken aragonite and medium texture sand.

Only light I have currently is 70 watt DE HQI above tank at 3000K. Will this be adequate lighting? It shine straight down box.

I also have a 4-T5 24" hydropoinic lamp with 3000K bulks that can shine into box sideways if necessary at right angle to sheets.

Any input on lighting would be appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Would like a few tips or suggestions

12 X 12 = 144 square inches. Two of these would be 288, not 400.

Best is to drain onto nothing; you don't want anything stoping/catching bits of food that flow down. You want them to go to the tank. So a bare scrubber box is best (filter wise).

Your light will not work. Get two clip-on 23 watts CFL "warm" or "soft" bulbs, one for each side. Better, use two on each side. Best, three on each side.

If you use the T5's, they need to be right up next to the screen... one or two inches away, parallel.

Is it possible to post picture here after I finish making acrylic box for ATS?

I have pro tools and would like to show it off when done.The box will be 14" by 28" and have a sheet 12" X 24" for 140 gallon reef with light load or 1.71 sq inch per gallon with single sided light of 4 - 2' T5 bulbs or 0.68 watts per gallon. I can add light to other side if necessary. I'll use Tunze DC speed control pump with DC back up to make it last if power ever goes out. I can't make it tall by limits of cabinet height and wider would take take too much flow.

Energy consumption of this light and flow will make it more consuming than many skimmers. I hate to take down productive refugium so might just leave it up for now. Looks straight forward so far.

Administrator

Certainly do post pics....

Here is the scrubber and jig I used to make it. I did it in a few hours with 1/4" extruded. I won't buy extruded acrylic again but I am happy with results. I wouldn't sell this from a few defects from rushing it, but will not effect the scrubber.

I have 3000K 4X2'T5's hydroponic lamp and extra mag 5.I am confident I will get reasonable results but won't be turning off skimmer too soon, but may cut it back.

Box is going to dry in garage while I get PVC fitting and tubing to finish.

I learned a bit today about working with acrylic. Chloroform works but is not too forgiving. I also need to fix run-out on this contractor saw if I ever do larger projects. I am referring to aligning fence to blade or fence to router as a planer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks great! but how are you going to remove screen for cleaning?

Administrator

Nice no-spray box.

I'll bet one side of the pipe lifts up, and it slides out of the bulkhead.

Bar slips up and out. I may grind back a bit and use teflon tape or notch top of bulkhead for weekly cleaning as needed.Thanks, I thought simple design with no water to light would be most effective.

My only concern is it can drain fast enough. 12" * 35 gph = 420 gph through a 1" bulkhead should be OK but I will find out shortly. I can still go bigger if needed.

Administrator

I drain 800 through a 1"

Looks like I'm moving along fast compared to other threads.

Here is Day 1. I picked up red bulbs from the local grow house supplier. Trickiest past of project was getting even flow across screen but was easy once I figured it out. Just push screen in all the way and use less tie clips. Surface tension make water cling if it is mostly straight sheet.

Less than ideal sound muffler but it is out of way. I need 1/2" white cap and black lid to reduce sound. Using Mag 5 through 3/4" tubing. Actually it looks like Mag5 I got used and flow seems right but need to measure flow one time.

If all goes well I plan to get DC controlled Tunze sump that is variable speed control and DC battery backed up. It can easily simulate a surge with 8 seconds of 100% output and 8seconds of 30% output etc. I already have 6105 streams, battery, and controller so I might do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information