+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sm 100 pump

Sm 100 pump

Hi guys just finishing up on my scrubber very close copy of SM100 and was wondering on the pump to use. The unit will be above tank so will have very small head. I noticed that in the SM100 thread it says to use approx 800gph but then SM recommends the ehiem universal 1260 which is only 650GPH for small heads etc.

I was looking at 3000lph (810gph) pumps, aquabee UP3000 and also 3700lph (1000gph) sicce multi 4000 and was set on the sicce until i read the SM100 thread again. im using a 23.5inch pipe so at 35Gal per inch i would need 820GPH and i was a little stumped at the 650GPH recommendation is all. i assume that the 650GPH would be fine but require more cleaning to keep the pump performing and hence the scrubber performing to its intended level. Where as with a higher rated pump it could go a little longer between pump cleanings due to the extra flow.

I am assuming this line of though is why the smaller pump can be used correct? having a bigger pump 810gal and throttling it back a little has other advantages as well i guess as its hard to generate flow with a pump that is too small.

Re: Sm 100 pump

when you plumb it in put a ball value ,on so you get the flow correct ,

Administrator

It's going to really depend on the width of the slot. Now that I use a table saw with an exact 1/8" blade, it uses less flow than when I cut the slot with a dremel tool. A wider slot takes more flow, but won't clog as easily when algae gets thick, and also will supply more flow overall when the box fills with growths.

so using the 810GPH pump will be better then using the smaller rated pump then as it allows for more flexibility in slot variation etc. No worries just thorught i would check and make sure before i got the pump

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information