+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My scrubber!

My scrubber!

I stumbled onto this idea because of a member on another site. I seen it, it makes perfect sense to me and my favorite part is its almost free AND I see almost no down side to it! So I got it installed 2 days ago and its already starting to get some algae. I have been battling a HA outbreak from when I let my bulbs get old. I have bought every kinda snail, crab and a lawnmower blenny to no avail The HA just kept on coming. About the only way I have been able to slow it down is leave the lights off for two days at a time and I hate that! I will keep you updated on the progress! Thanks to SantaMonica for testing and bringing light to this idea!

Water params as of install
    PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20
    Phosphates 0
    calcium 400+
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Re: My scrubber!

Move those bulbs to about 4" away, and add two more bulbs for the empty spots, and you'll be much happier.

Ok so i wasnt getting the growth that others have even after adding two more CFL's. So I roughed up the screen again and put in four 35 watt (i think) PC lights. Now the screen is covered with light top to bottom. I will post pics and updates when my growth takes off.

Pics as promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Do you have the lights pulled back for the picture?

They need to be right up against the screen... 3" max.

Ok I will. I thought it was to close originally, causing the algea to turn yellow. I noticed when it was closer the algea that was closer to the light wasnt near as green as algae farther away from the bulbs so I moved them to their current locations. Thanks

Administrator

Assuming you are running 18 hours, that means it needs more flow, or add some iron. Last result is pull the lights back.

Ok Ill get the iron tested. I dont believe its flow. Im not postive on the GPH because it is on one of the returns from my tank but there is alot of water moving across the screen.

Administrator

Testing for iron in SW will always read zero, because it is used immediately by the algae. More flow jusy delivers more iron. If the algae is yellow, then it's just getting too much light compared to the amount of iron it's getting.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information