+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATS for QT or hospital tank

ATS for QT or hospital tank

Hello everyone, I live in Taiwan. I started a 250 gallons (not including the sump where ATS is working) in April of this year, and after cycling for a couple of months, I started intruducing fishes into the tank. All the fishes got infected with ICH and most of them died. I managed to trap 2 of my favorite fishes in the tank ( Achilles tang and a sohal tang) and took it to the LFS for treatment. He used hyposalinity treatment and both fishes are now very healthy. 3 days ago, I finally got fed up and told the LFS to come over and setup a 25 gallons quarantine tank. I pulled some algae from the main tank and covered it over the overhead filtration with a acrylic plate where the water from the cycling pump would drip over it. Now, the owner at the LFS placed substrates into the tank while I was at work and already had the mixed salt water running when I came home. I told him I wanted a BB tank as he didn't know I'm expecting the ATS to do all the work and thought I needed the susbstrates and bioballs to take care of ammonia and nitrite. So, all was taken out that night and I measured the nitrate at the time and it was off the chart. After running the system with only the algaes for filtration over the night, the next morning I check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and everything was 0. That was an unbelieveable surprise. Holy Christ I thought. Therefore on that same day, I called him up and said that I had lower my salinity down to 1.014 and buffer my water to PH 8.3 and wanted my fishes in.

Now, check this, my favorite fishes are tangs, so I want all my favorite tangs put in all at the same time. The quarantine tank salinity is at 1.014. I acclimate the fishes with drip method over a period of 1 hour from 1.024 and put them in the tank. It's been over 2 days since I acclimate my Achilles tang, Sohal tang, new Purple tang, a yellow tang, and this other tang the owner gave me as a gift. There's also a fireangel, bicolor angel in there too. I know everyone must be thinking having all these tangs in such a small space is not a good idea right? Right. Yesterday was a chaos to say the least. But I've snip off the daggers from each and everyone of those tangs before I put them in. So they were just bumping their asses against eachother. Today, they now only do a little chase now and then. And each and everyone of them are eating Nori and other foods like pigs.
    I'm putting some photo in here for everyone to see. Now, I have a couple of questions, do I really need to lower the salinity down to 1.009-1.008 because it's at 1.009 right now. And also will that ATS that's doing the filtration be enough??? I beleive the only nutrientsHello everyone, I live in Taiwan. I started a 250 gallons (not including the sump where ATS is working) in April of this year, and after cycling for a couple of months, I started intruducing fishes into the tank. All the fishes got infected with ICH and most of them died. I managed to trap 2 of my favorite fishes in the tank ( Achilles tang and a sohal tang) and took it to the LFS for treatment. He used hyposalinity treatment and both fishes are now very healthy. 3 days ago, I finally got fed up and told the LFS to come over and setup a 25 gallons quarantine tank. I pulled some algae from the main tank and covered it over the overhead filtration with a acrylic plate where the water from the cycling pump would drip over it. Now, the owner at the LFS placed substrates into the tank while I was at work and already had the mixed salt water running when I came home. I told him I wanted a BB tank as he didn't know I'm expecting the ATS to do all the work and thought I needed the susbstrates and bioballs to take care of ammonia and nitrite. So, all was taken out that night and I measured the nitrate at the time and it was off the chart. After running the system with only the algaes for filtration over the night, the next morning I check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and everything was 0. That was an unbelieveable surprise. Holy Christ I thought. Therefore on that same day, I called him up and said that I had lower my salinity down to 1.014 and buffer my water to PH 8.3 and wanted my fishes in.

Now, check this, my favorite fishes are tangs, so I want all my favorite tangs put in all at the same time. The quarantine tank salinity is at 1.014. I acclimate the fishes with drip method over a period of 1 hour from 1.024 and put them in the tank. It's been over 2 days since I acclimate my Achilles tang, Sohal tang, new Purple tang, a yellow tang, and this other tang the owner gave me as a gift. There's also a fireangel, bicolor angel in there too. I know everyone must be thinking having all these tangs in such a small space is not a good idea right? Right. Yesterday was a chaos to say the least. But I've snip off the daggers from each and everyone of those tangs before I put them in. So they were just bumping their asses against eachother. Today, they now only do a little chase now and then. And each and everyone of them are eating Nori and other foods like pigs.
    I'm putting some photo in here for everyone to see. Now, I have a couple of questions, do I realHello everyone, I live in Taiwan. I started a 250 gallons (not including the sump where ATS is working) in April of this year, and after cycling for a couple of months, I started intruducing fishes into the tank. All the fishes got infected with ICH and most of them died. I managed to trap 2 of my favorite fishes in the tank ( Achilles tang and a sohal tang) and took it to the LFS for treatment. He used hyposalinity treatment and both fishes are now very healthy. 3 days ago, I finally got fed up and told the LFS to come over and setup a 25 gallons quarantine tank. I pulled some algae from the main tank and covered it over the overhead filtration with a acrylic plate where the water from the cycling pump would drip over it. Now, the owner at the LFS placed substrates into the tank while I was at work and already had the mixed salt water running when I came home. I told him I wanted a BB tank as he didn't know I'm expecting the ATS to do all the work and thought I needed the susbstrates and bioballs to take care of ammonia and nitrite. So, all was taken out that night and I measured the nitrate at the time and it was off the chart. After running the system with only the algaes for filtration over the night, the next morning I check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and everything was 0. That was an unbelieveable surprise. Holy Christ I thought. Therefore on that same day, I called him up and said that I had lower my salinity down to 1.014 and buffer my water to PH 8.3 and wanted my fishes in.

I'm putting some photo in here for everyone to see. Now, I have a couple of questions, do Ireally need to lower the salinity down to 1.009 because it's already there and I'm a bit weary about keeping the fish at that salinity. I believe the only nutrient that I have to worry about is amonia. There's no other filtration stages. At this time of typing (finishing this post, it's been 2 weeks and the ammonia reading is 0). I don't even bother to check other readings anymore. Because it is so easy to setup, I'm still in disbelief. Did a check again before posting, it's still reading 0. I must say, these algaes are truly amazing.

Thanks for any input,

James

Administrator

Re: ATS for QT or hospital tank

Hello James, good to see you are progressing. If you are not going to have bio media in your QT, and you are going to have the algae do all the filtering, you'll want to watch out for the bottom layers dying. What it looks like you have is a horizontal scrubber for the QT, and the thick layer of algae that you put in there will indeed filter (because the algae is trying to stay alive, it is consuming as much nutrients as possible), but the bottom layers are going to start dying in 3 or 4 days). So you'll want to throw all that algae out, and replace with new algae.

As for salinity, that would be a question for somebody who knows about it....

Re: ATS for QT or hospital tank

Thanks for the info!!! Really appreciate that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information