+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Scrubbers

Administrator

LED Scrubbers

Since the search function on this forum does not work very well, here are the LED-powered scrubber threads so far, ordered roughly from newest to oldest. The main thing to remember is that LED scrubbers are currently for experimenting only, not results:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=645
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=659
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=435
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=564
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=728
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=560
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=451
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=561
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=444
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=378
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=326
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58

Hi!
    Anything wrong with these links? None of them seems to be valid for me...

Administrator
    They were from the old forum. This new forum's search actually works. Try the advanced search, and put "led" for the search term, and select "search titles only"...

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/sear...?search_type=1

Banned
    I see your old wording a lot around the forum Santa Monica, in your giant example thread, this thread, and a few others with the wording "The main thing to remember is that LED scrubbers are currently for experimenting only, not results:"

I know that was written years ago and it was very true when you wrote it, but I think people today doing searches will read your disclaimer and think that is still the case. I am pretty sure we are past the "experimental phase" in regards to LEDs.

Administrator
    No they are still very experimental since they are too hard to build.

Banned
    LOL, ok, your forum, but I completely disagree with you about "too hard to build" since a 5 year old can put them together with solderless connectors. LEDs are as easy or as hard as any other lighting out there. How many DIY T5HO scrubbers have I seen on here? Quite a few, and working with those ballasts are the same as working with LED drivers, but T5HOs are not considered "too hard" to build. You can buy a LED fixture or you can DIY LEDs and DIY can range from basic (solderless connectors with self tapping screws to a sheet of aluminum) to advanced (solder, run series/parallel strings, epoxy, finned heatsinks, fans) depending on skill level.

You can't really debate that they are "for experimenting, not results" anymore either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmblJyeiSJ0

If one is doing DIY T5 I would say the DIY LED is easier if just doing a simple series circuit but, that is coming from someone that is very familiar with LED's. If doing the CFL with a reflector that would be the easiest. I think the hardest thing is figuring the number of LED's per 12" of screen. I am converting my horizontal today and tomorrow to a vertical screen and plan on two LED's per side of 12" screen.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    With my testing I have found 4 660nm per side is about the bare minimum on a 12"x10" screen and still get growth comparable to T5HO. I really don't think 2 per side will cut it.

Once one understands how LEDs work, it becomes easy from that point.

Administrator
    Most people can't solder, and want nothing to do with wires or electricity, much less understand it. Only if a lighting unit is ready-to-plugin would it be halfway "easy". And even then it becomes hard for them to mount the lights properly and safely. When there is a waterproof unit available that is ready to plugin, then it can be recommended. That's the reason 9 out of 10 people use CFL's... because they are ready to plug in. For T5's you have to wire up the sockets and ballasts.

Then of course there is the vast majority of aquarium owners (or would-be owners) who walk into LFS... they want nothing to do with building anything at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information