+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: people love protien skimmers

Arrow Re: people love protien skimmers

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag
    mrbncal. How about some details of your set up?
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks for the interest, the tank in the pictures is a 75gal RR AGA. I am currently running 3 - 150 watt 14K DE SPS/BlueLife bulbs and 2 - 54 watt T-5 w/ reflectors in 420 and 460 wavelengths. Algae scrubber is in the 30long glass sump and water is returned with a Rio pump at 360 gal/ hour. Along with the return two modded MJ 1200's circulate the display.

In the sump I have a refugium section from before I set up the scrubber. Have left it in place with mangroves planted in 3 inches of mud and aragonite and a piece of liverock. Its fun to watch things grow in there, and handy to have a place to put things that I dont want in teh display. Kind of a holding cell . . . In the display there is apprx 3/4" of oolitic sand on the bottom and prolly 100 pounds of fiji and tonga branch. To much rock really. But now things are kinda grown on and I hate to disturb them to make more room. . . . but its coming . . . would like to have more room for new corals.

I use Bulk Reef Supply two part for calc/alk and Kents Iodine supplement. I think I am going back to lugols after this is gone. Things just seem off. I have been reading on here about Iron, so I will be adding that supplement soon. Also I would like to try the Mrs. Wages in the top-off water trick. Seems easy enough after reading about it on here.

Tests that I use at home:
    N and P have been 0's for a couple of months now.
    Low calcium at 350+/-10. Tested once a month.
    Ph is monitored 24/7 and runs 7.9 (early am)to 8.3(couple hours after lights on).

Feeding is random. I use what ever the store has. I like to feed frozen cyclops, mysis, plankton. Recently started using PhytoFeast. Like that stuff, corals seem to react quickly. Going to try OysterFeast also. Anenomes, acans, and anything large enough to eat it get chopped up pieces of scallop. A squirt of the phytofeast and two random cubes every other day and scallops once a week. Quarter sheet of nori twice a week.

Fish:
    Tomini Tang
    Yellow tang
    Coral Beauty
    Orange tailed damsel
    black perc
    Nigripes clown (in refugium now)

Misc:
    Cleaner shrimp
    Boxer (pom pom)crab
    black cucumber
    3 clams

Tank is mostly LPS cuz thats what I like the most. Wall hammer, Frogspawn as well as branching types of both. Always looking for cool colors. One large S. gigantea, several mini carpets one maxi mini. a couple colorful flower nems. Several colored lobos and wellosyphylia, symphyllias and a lithophyton, couple color varieties of challice. Various maze corals. Whenever I find a colorful soft coral I buy it. Zoas, clove polyps etc.

Sps; green slimer, ponape birdsnest, blue polp birdnest, tri color valida, a blue tip acro and a plume berry(?) tort (haha idk), i am not much for names. Thats what the LFS called it. Its very cool reddish purple and another red acro. Several varieties of plating monti; purple, blue polyp. purple rim, orange.

Wow, talk about a rambler. Was that one long run-on sentence or what. You guys will definately think twice about asking me something again. :lol:

Mike
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

Re: people love protien skimmers

Ha. I read every part of it. I just picked up some WM two part. I never dosed anything. Like you have read about dosing iron on here as well as other things. I don't and haven't done a water change since Jan. so I'm assuming I'm low on somethings. Especially since I've seen what little coraline I have along my sand line is starting to disappear. I picked the WM brand due it seemed to be the deal that day. Tank is happy and growing. Lets hope I made a wise decision.
    Again, very nice display.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information