+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATS on heavy stock fish

ATS on heavy stock fish

if i hv a lots fishes.. my tank is 150 x 60 x 60
    n my fishes about 30 ( large angel,tangs, etc...)

n im using "1.0 square inches of screen per gallon, with bulbs on BOTH sides (10 x 10 = 100 square inches = 100 gal)
    [1.64 square cm per liter] "

should i need to turn on my PS, to reduce the DOC..?

Administrator

Re: ATS on heavy stock fish

Use this feeding guideline, which is more accurate:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 watts of light on each side.

It really doesn't matter how many gallons you have; it only matters how much food you put in each day.

If you have only big fish, then you can run your skimmer if you want because you have no need for small food particles or in the water. The small food particles are for corals and small fish (and scooters, anthias, mandarins, etc).

However skimmers don't really remove much DOC, and scrubbers put DOC into the water, so you are going to have DOC one way or the other. Which really does not affect fish one way or the other. DOC is only needed for corals.

Info...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2 ...

"The skimmer pulls out all of the TOC that it is going to remove by the 50-minute mark. Beyond that time point, nothing much is happening and the TOC level doesn't change much.

"Thus, all skimmers tested remove around 20 - 30% of the TOC in the aquarium water, and that's it; 70 - 80% of the measurable TOC is left behind unperturbed by the skimming process. It may be possible to develop a rationalization for this unexpected behavior by referring back to Fig. 1. Perhaps only 20 - 30% of the organic species in the aquarium water meet the hydrophobic requirements for bubble capture, whereas the remaining 70-80%, for whatever reason, don't."

and from the studies listed below...

Although almost no aquarist knows this (athough every marine biologist does), algae produces all the vitamins and amino acids in the ocean that corals need to grow. Yes these are the same vitamins and amino acids that reefers buy and dose to their tanks. How do you think the vitamins and amino acids got in the ocean in the first place? Algae also produces a carbon source to feed the nitrate-and-phosphate-reducing bacteria (in addition to the algae consuming nitrate and phosphate itself). Yes this is the same carbon that many aquarists buy and add to their tanks. In particular, algae produce:

Vitamins:

Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin B6
    Beta Carotene
    Riboflavin
    Thiamine
    Biotin
    Ascorbate (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
    N5-Methyltetrahydrofolate
    Other tetrahydrofolate polyglutamates
    Oxidized folate monoglutamates
    Nicotinate
    Pantothenate

Amino Acids:

Alanine
    Aspartic acid
    Leucine
    Valine
    Tyrosine
    Phenylalanine
    Methionine
    Aspartate
    Glutamate
    Serine
    Proline

Carbohydrates (sugars):

Galactose
    Glucose
    Maltose
    Xylose

Misc:

Glycolic Acid
    Citric Acid (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
    Nucleic Acid derivatives
    Polypeptides
    Proteins
    Enzymes
    Lipids

Studies:

Production of Vitamin B-12, Thiamin, and Biotin by Phytoplankton. Journal of Phycology, Dec 1970:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

Secretion Of Vitamins and Amino Acids Into The Environment By Ochromanas Danica. Journal of Phycology, Sept 1971 (Phycology is the study of algae):

Qualitative Assay of Dissolved Amino Acids and Sugars Excreted by Chlamydomanas Reinhardtii (chlorophyceae) and Euglena Gracilis (Euglenophyceae), Jounrnal of Phycology, Dec 1978:

Re: ATS on heavy stock fish

wow.. that's a really long explanation. but it is really clear to me now.
    i guess i just leave the PS off for a while..

thank You Santa !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information