+ Reply to Thread

Thread: yellow/green water

yellow/green water

my tank has been looking great with the new ATS but.....last night i did a water change and when the old tank water was in the snow white bucket i could tell that my tank water is a yellowish green. i know this is due to running a scrubber apposed to a skimmer and or carbon. my question is without doing any water changes as sugested here wouldn't the tank water become heavily tinted with green over time? or am i missing something?

Administrator

Re: yellow/green water

That's phytoplankton. Since your system is now running just like a real natural reef, the phytoplankton grow naturally in the water. Phytoplankton feeds clams and some corals, and also feeds zooplankton (copepods etc) which feed most corals and small fish. If you want your water to be like a "crystal clear reef", then this is the way you want to keep it. You can only see the phytoplanton if you compare it to a pure white background like you did. Natural crystal clear reefs however have no pure white backgrounds (sand is not pure white). Carbon would remove the phytoplankton, but then you loose a lot of feeding advantages, and, you won't be able to tell the difference anyway since you normally don't have a pure white background in your tank.

Re: yellow/green water

ok good stuff ! thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information