+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclips scrubber online

Re: Eclips scrubber online

The picture was before cleaning i should have made that more clear. i removed the elbow and upped the flow again with the elbow the flow would have spilled over the top of the box as the oulet of the scrubber is in the water and provides some backpressure.

I originally wanted the water to only be at about 1-2 inches at the bottom as air transmits the light better then the water but that is only proberly minimal. Seams to be growing alot better now i increased the flow.

I agree there is more then likly phosphate in the rocks at it came from a faily amateur amateur reefer with a FOWLR system still using a canister filter.

The display exploded with the scrubber once i put fish in but i started feeding more as well so went hand in hand i guess. i cleaned just about all of it off with only leaving a slight green film remaining (didnt take a picture sorry) but it has grow to about 5mm thick in a day and a bit but doing much better with the excess flow i gave and started to turn greenish again.

I have no doubt it will return to green shortly or after this screen. i may up the flow a little more and let the box be more full of water i guess it doesnt matter too much as long as it doesnt overflow.

I'l take some before and after cleaning the next screen.

starting to green back up again on the screen. i am cleaning every 3-4 days to get as much nutrient transport as possible. was at 20hr photperiod but have changed to a 18hr photperiod.

Before cleaning

As can be seen the higher flow area are green with the rest of the screen being yellowish turning green.

The slot is starting to become restricted quicker since i have bumped up the flow rate. Am going to have to make up a shield to block the light from aroud the slot to kep the algae out of there. amm,nitrite and nitrates are all still at 0 since i put the first fish in and the algae in the display isnt growing any bigger which is good. a stromb is cleaning all the algae off the sand bed and it is starting to look alot nicer.

Thought i would do an update. scrubber is working great now. i have burnt the algae a few times by messing with the photoperiod but have it good now. it runs for 12 hours then in the middle of its dark cycle i have it on for 2 hours and have found that this encourages green growth more rapidly.

22nd november

17th december

have been using it on QT whitespot in my tank and has been doing a great job of keeping levels at 0.

Administrator

Good job.

Love the thread. I think I will try my luck at making a simplified version like this. What are some of the things you would change on it/things to look out for while working with acrylic?

Also are you getting much 3d growth with this?

Watch the instructional videos from Tap Plastics for hints on working with acrylic. You can also order acrylic pre-cut from them in 1/8" increments, which will save you time and probably give you better joints, unless you have a router table. I spent a lot of time trying (with limited success) to get good accurate cuts with a skill saw and a dremel. If I was doing another acrylic project of any size, I'd spring for an inexpensive router table, or just get it pre-cut. Use Weldon 16 for glue. Since it is thick like a gel, it will make up for less than perfect cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta
    Watch the instructional videos from Tap Plastics for hints on working with acrylic. You can also order acrylic pre-cut from them in 1/8" increments, which will save you time and probably give you better joints, unless you have a router table. I spent a lot of time trying (with limited success) to get good accurate cuts with a skill saw and a dremel. If I was doing another acrylic project of any size, I'd spring for an inexpensive router table, or just get it pre-cut. Use Weldon 16 for glue. Since it is thick like a gel, it will make up for less than perfect cuts.
    That sounds like a plan. I have seen them before, it is something I have been wanting to do for a while, and the scrubber idea put me over the edge. I will order from them and give it a shot

I was thinking of getting a router table for my dremel and using that to burr the edges on the acrylic if need be. The locations here in Philly all offer to rout the edges, but the local shops for plastics all close at 5pm and I never can get out to them cause of work.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1904982227 ... 602_309572

As for the Weldon glue, I was thinking of using that one since it is more a gel like you said, and just being liberal with it. It doesn't need to be beautiful. Kinda like working with silicone I could do the edges like that perhaps (sliding my finger to finish up the seams)? Btw sorry to thread jack lol.

I am getting a bit of 3d growth that is growing on the sides of the acrylic. If anything i would make it a little taller. I didnt really know where the water would sit for a given flow. It sits a tad too high for the flow i would like (half screen submerged) and it is because i am running a mesh grill on the outlet due to it blowing my sand everywhere if i dont so that restricts the flow out of the box.

I also think i need another 2xT5 light as ever since i raised my salinity after hypoing my water is turning green and it is cloudy. I have been doing some 50% water changes to rid of what i assume is a phytoplankton that is growing rapidly in my DT. The corals and fish seam fine so it isnt bothering them but it looks unsightly. I may try to get another T5 light to scrub really hard for a while to out compete the phytoplankton.

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all 0 and KH is at 9. lights for 14hrs a day

Having a straight routered edge allows much better joins to be made. make sure you use books etc to hold weight on the join while the weldon dries otherwise your joints wont be very good.

Administrator

I doubt you can see the phyto growing in the water, since your tank is just a few inches of water. "Crystal clear reefs" have lots of phyto growing, and you can't see it in several feet of water. You probably just have some algae breaking loose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information