+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrubbers and Carbon

Scrubbers and Carbon

Ok, so this is my first post here. Sorry if this has already been covered extensively but I couldn't find a lot of information on this.

So, I have read here and there that scrubbed tank should not be using carbon. However, I have met others who run an ATS and still use carbon in conjunction with it.
    I myself have only been using a scrubber for about 3 weeks. I'm still running my skimmer and carbon right now but I'm getting ready to turn off the skimmer in the next week or so. However, I'm debating if I should stop the carbon as well. I use ROX carbon from Bulk Reef Supply and it has served me well thus far.

So I guess my question is... Does carbon actually "hurt" anything in a scrubbed tank?
    I know carbon removes DOC's, which apparently corals utilize but are there any other issues?

Thanks for the help!

Administrator

Re: Scrubbers and Carbon

No, that's really the only issue... DOC. If you are not trying to grow corals at the fastest rate possible, then carbon won't hurt.

Thanks SM. That's kind of what i figured. Do you think there's any advantage to continue running carbon on a scrubbed tank?
    If not, why do you think some people continue to do it?

Administrator

If you are not feeding corals, then carbon will make the water "clear like air", instead of just "clear like a reef".

But you have to be careful that the carbon does not trap food partcles.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information