+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Generation 4 scrubber idea

Generation 4 scrubber idea

I ran across this video and thought maybe a gen 4 design is worth considering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d41miNUu ... =rec-HM-r2

Administrator

Re: Generation 4 scrubber idea

Yep just a scrubber pulling CO2 out

yep, but dig this.

How many refers use a calcium reactor? Now with the calcium reactor, you need the co2 correct? Well algae need co2 and food to grow. Hmm, must read up on the calcium reactor again. My thought is a scrubber/reactor combo using the vortex injection of c02 to get the algae going, and then excess co2 would power the calcium reactor.

When food levels for the algae are down, the algae would not be using as much co2 and then the calcium reactor would use the rest.

So now you have better algae growth to depletion of nutrient, and the reactor making sure the corals get their calcium etc.

So I guess a gen 4 would be a scrubber with introduction of Carbon Dioxide to aid in the growth of algae at a steroid pace.

So the result is not to pull co2 buy rather give algae the co2 to aid in the photosynthesis, which pull nutrients.

Question is would you put the scrubber before or after the reactor? I'm thinking after. So how is this for a design challenge?

I'm not sure how they work the one in the vid, but I'm sure co2 would boost turf growth on a screen.

But the algae used in the vid? It reminded me of some of the phyto cultures. Most reef needs phyto, so I'm just racking my brain wondering if it is possible. Biosphere anyone? Well could this integration work?

But at least a turf powered with co2 in conjunction with a calcium reactor may be a step in reef equipment developement.

Sounds a good idea but although there is a lot of water circulation inside the calcium reactor there isn't much water coming out compared to the flow needed for the scrubber.

John.

Administrator

If I'm not mistaken, the limiting factor for scrubber growth is not CO2, it's N or P.

Also, scrubbers pull CO2 from the water, not the air. In order to make "more CO2" available for the scrubber, you'd have to saturate it into the water, which is what those long tubes were doing in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    If I'm not mistaken, the limiting factor for scrubber growth is not CO2, it's N or P.

Also, scrubbers pull CO2 from the water, not the air. In order to make "more CO2" available for the scrubber, you'd have to saturate it into the water, which is what those long tubes were doing in the video.
    Yea, so that means I could feed the heck out of it, then add co2 to further accelerate growth, and use the calcium reactor also. (warped theory)

But I guess that some say when you run a heater, co2 increases and then the ph drops. Hmm.

Just wonder then if too much co2 would kill. But the calcium reactor is powered by co2 right?

Oh, the brain hurts from so much thought
    :mrgreen:

- I agree.

Also, scrubbers pull CO2 from the water, not the air. In order to make "more CO2" available for the scrubber, you'd have to saturate it into the water...
    - Yes algae pull CO2 from the water but I don't think they are fussy where they get it, and exposed algae will take it from the air.

CO2 is readily dissolved in water (about 200 times more soluble than Oxygen). CO2 will be dissolved (and excess will be liberated) in the fast flowing water running over the scrubber. I think you will always have enough and never have to much CO2 as the scrubber maintains a healthy balance. This is certainly evidenced by the stability of my PH since I started running a scrubber. In fact even running a scrubber without any algae and without any lights would still benefit most tanks as the gas exchange (a two way process) is much improved.

Cheers,

Pat. Pending

I also agree. Several months ago, I did a search on the web and found a few articles that answered this question for me. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to them any more. Out of several small studies that I read one found a slight statistical difference but not worth the expense or even the trouble. The biggest study that I found was done on an out door fresh water operation that was designed to treat affluent from cow farms. Making a long story short, one line stood out.

“There were no significant differences in algal productivity, algal N and P content, or N and P recovery values from raceways with carbon dioxide supplementation compared to values from raceways without added carbon dioxide.”

More light, more surface area, more surge or better application of the lighting that I have already would be what I would try first. I like to keep it simple and low maintenance so that things become very stable.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information