+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock solid case for ATS capabilities

Banned

Rock solid case for ATS capabilities

Get a load of this!!!!

This was posted on Reef Central. There seems to be a growing community supporting the ATS, even on that site.

"I find the idea of an algae scrubber introducing harmful chemicals to be pretty laughable. I've been discussing mine with the environmental engineers in my office, seems they're used on large scales to clean agricultural run off and industrial heavy metal contamination out of water ways.

Check this page out http://www.algalturfscrubber.com/point.htm"

This page link really says it all. Look at the nitrate and phosphate filtration capacity they're getting! And what about removal of all those toxins, and we're talking about industrial pollutants!!!

Administrator

Re: Rock sold case for ATS capabilities

Yep I was surprised too when I learned that stuff two years ago. Even today (as in last night), the things I find are amazing. Can only teach so much at one time, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Get a load of this!!!!

There seems to be a growing community supporting the ATS, even on that site.

MMuuaahahahahaha. . . . exxxccellent! :twisted:
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

Had a kid come over to pick something up. Coral or whatnot. Couldn't believe how quiet my tank was. When I explained I had no skimmer and hadn't done a water change since January. He was mystified. I tell everyone I meet in the hobby about ATS's.

Re: Rock solid case for ATS capabilities

Yours is dead silent. It was impressive and eye opening haha

Thats me! I went for some kenya tree frags. They are all doing fine. The xenia melted away though. I can't seem to keep them ever. Tried again after and still they die on me.

Anyways, I'm trying to get an algae scrubber going, but its a challenge because I have no sump. Gonna try and make it as quiet as yours haha.

Have you done your water change yet?

Yea ATS are a hard sell on reef central. And my xneia does not seem to like the ATS either,,,,,why is that santa? you would think that an ATS would be ideal for Xenia with more food and all....?

Xenia gets outcompeted by the components the algae wants. You will need to feed alot more to keep them alive, up to the brink where your ATS can't take all the phosphates and nitrogen.

Administrator

Xenia actually like nitrate and phosphate, not food particles that scrubbers provide.

You can super-over feed, and try to get some nitrate or phosphate readings (which will help all the corals).

Also, I'm experimenting with adding Mono Potassium Phosphate, to get the P level up to 1.0

Interesting. Must be why mine has stopped spreading all over the one side of my tank and is confined to the one rock it is on. Welcome Steve. Check out Santas nano scrubbers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information