+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55 GAL NEW TANK

55 GAL NEW TANK

I am enjoying the diy algae scrubber on my 12 gal nano.
    I bought a GLASS 55 gal and a 20 gal for a new set up from Petco when the had the $1.00 gal sale.
    Since I have never set up saltwater system from scratch and researching it is like opening a firehose for a drink I thought I would come to the source since I want to use the algae scrubber on the new setup.
    The tanks have a NO drill warning as the glass is tempered.
    I am going to build a cabinet for the system.
    I will have to use an overflow from the 55 gal to the 20 gal sump, unless there is something else I can do that I am unaware of.
    I plan on the scrubber in the sump.
    Can anyone recommend a diy overflow design or mfg ect?
    Pump reccomendations, placement, flow for the scrubber?
    Tubing type and sizes?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    David S.

Administrator

Re: 55 GAL NEW TANK

Figure how wide the screen will be, and that will give you the flow. Then get a pump/overflow setup that will deliver that flow.

A good basic setup would be a 8 X 8 screen, with a 18 watt curly Q CFL on each side, with a big round reflector. 8 inches needs X 35 = 280 gph. So get a pump that can pump 280 gph including the trip up to the tank. It will probably be a 550 or 600 gph pump.

Any overflow setup will work... someone else can probably recommend one.

you could always skip the over flow and put the scrubber above the tank. pump water up into the scrubber and let gravity take it back down to the tank. i am sure santa has a pic/drawing of this method.

Well I am starting to build Rome
    Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.
    We were in SanDiego last weekend and I picked up some fresh live sand, 5 gallon bucket full. Its now in my sump tank 1/2 full of saltwater and circulating.
    I am in the process of designing a cabinet for the new tank and my wife wants the granite tiles on the top @ counter height. We shall see. I also plan to have wheels on the cabinet since I have tile floors for gently moving around if needed.
    I need some advise on lights, pump and overflow box.
    PUMP I am looking at the Ehiem 1260 (635 gph) or the Pan-World 50px (590 gph). Would these be overkill for the 55 gal with 20 gal sump?
    OVERFLOW BOX CPR makes the overflow box I could also build one. Which flow rate could anyone recommend 300 or 600 gph? I am thinking I need the 300 gph for the algae scrubber in the sump tank.
    LIGHTS I have been reading I need 4X54 wt T5 for the 55 gal tank. I am considering the 48" Current USA Nova Extreme. http://www.marineandreef.com has them for $259. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    David S.

I'll comment on flow, don't undersize. Oversize and reduce it to fit your needs instead.

I am looking at a CPR CS50 300 gph overflow box and a Mag Flow pump PM7 with 8 ft head @300 gph
    OR
    CPR CS90 600 gph overflow box and a Mag Flow pump PM 9.5 with 8 ft head @ 600 gph

Which would you use with the 55 gal, 20 gal sump with the algae scrubber?
    Thanks
    David S.

Considering head loss etc, I would go for the 600gph. (or 2x 300 for redundancy.)

This might be late, but I used cpr cs90 with a danner mag 9.5. Worked great, just keep an eye on the dosing pump, if it becomes clogged your display will over flow if you don't catch it in time. I suggest using the pre filter.

I went with thw CS-90 and Mag 9.5 with the overflow drain into the 20 gal sump which is divided into 3 compartments. 1st one has the skimmer, 2nd one horiz scrubber, bubble trap then 3rd return pump.
    Been running since Jan 2011 and almost ready for fish :-)
    David S.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information