+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building an algae scrubber

Building an algae scrubber

HI all,

I have been having a problem with algae in my 30 gallon fish with live rock and coral tank ever since it has been up and running, about 6 years now. I found this website and I am curious about how to build an algae scrubber. I do not have a sump on my tank. I am running a Rena Filstar XP1 filter and a Aqueon hang on filter. I am pretty handy with building things but cannot figure out how to go about building an algae scrubber without a sump.

If anyone has the step-by-step instructions to do so I would appreciate that information so I do not lose any more coral in my tank.

Thanks,

Glenn

Administrator

Re: Building an algae scrubber

Simple fix. You just need to build a scrubber and set it above the tank:

The simplest and fairly effective is a horizontal screen. A smaller version of this:

....using a single CFL bulb on top, would work. A little more complex design would be a vertical:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=523&start=10

Look here for ideas:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26

After you get it running, you can remove your other filters.

Hi Santa Monica,

I am finally going to take the plunge and build an algae scrubber for my 28 gallon bow-style marine tank. Since I do not have a sump on this tank (1) where would you suggest I place the scrubber...above the tank or below it and my second question is what size scrubber should I build... size screen, pump size, and bulbs?

Thanks,

Glenn.

Administrator

Best is above it. See here for everything else: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

To make sure that I have all the info correct for my algae scrubber on my 30 gallon tank, which I plan to put above my tank since I do not have a sump, I would need the following:

(1) 6 x6 screen (plastic canvas or tank divider)
    (2) Two 23 watt, 2700K bulbs
    (3) pump with at least 210 gph flow

Please let me know if this is correct.

Thanks,

Glenn

Administrator

For a vertical, yes. That's a lot of light, though. two 13 watts bulbs would be fine.

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on how or actually where to put an algae scrubber on my 30 gallon, bow style, tank. Since I do not have a sump I understand I have to put it on top of the tank but with the Nova Extreme light which I have on top of the tank I really do not have room to put it on top of the tank unless it is hung on the side but what size screen and scrubber would I need to build? I really need to get this done as my tank is killing all the coral I have and I am not going to put any more coral in the tank unless the algae is under control.

I am open to any suggestions on what I can use to build this scrubber.

Thanks,

Glenn

Administrator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information